At this exciting moment of growth, Hi-ARTS seeks a creative and organized part-time Development Associate to join our team.
Hi-ARTS is a leading cultural hub within the urban arts movement. Through artistic development residencies, vibrant multidisciplinary creative programming, and civic engagement opportunities, we empower artists to develop bold new work while creating a positive, lasting impact on our community. In 2016, we established a permanent home at El Barrio’s Artspace PS109 in East Harlem.
Hi-ARTS values artists who respond to social justice themes and/or bring visibility to their lived experiences; innovate and push known aesthetics into new and dynamic interdisciplinary forms; create new original works that expand the perspectives traditionally represented in contemporary performance and other creative areas; and value interaction with community as a means of both developing content and providing broad public engagement.
During 2020 and 2021, Hi-ARTS expanded from a staff of 3 to a staff of 8, launched two new programs, and completed a smooth and successful leadership transition. In that time our annual operating budget also grew from roughly $500,000 to nearly $900,000.
At this exciting moment of growth, Hi-ARTS seeks a creative and organized part-time Development Associate to join our team. Working closely with the Development Manager and Executive Director, this new role will be responsible for supporting all areas of fundraising and carrying out administrative duties for the Development team. The position reports to the Development Manager and will collaborate extensively with all other departments: Marketing, Programming, and Operations.
- CRM / Gift Entry Systems and Processes
- Process incoming and outgoing mail and email for the development department
- Ensure that all types of donations (cash, pledges, and matching gifts) are properly documented and acknowledged in a timely manner
- Ensure data integrity through accurate entries and ongoing clean-up efforts in Hi-ARTS’ new CRM
- With Development Manager, update the Development Projections Tracker (DevPro) monthly
- Institutional Giving
- Support Development Manager and Executive Director with deadline management
- Assist in coordinating and preparing grant materials with Development Manager
- Assist with prospect research
- Individual Giving
- Prepare accurate research on prospects and assemble materials for cultivation and solicitation meetings
- Assist with the production and distribution of recurring appeals and stewardship materials
- General Responsibilities
- Communicate with Marketing team to create, coordinate, and send donor communications
- Communicate with current and potential donors in person, on the phone, and by email
- Assisting with board communications
- Assisting with fundraisers and program event planning and logistics
- Other related duties as assigned
- Serve as primary scheduler for (and participate in all) Development team activities
- Attend meetings as necessary with Development Manager and/or Executive Director to take notes and document, share, and manage next steps
- Draft emails and letters as needed
- Must embrace the mission and values of Hi-ARTS
- Sensitivity to historically excluded performance and visual artists
- One to three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising
- Clear communicator with excellent speaking, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Detail-oriented with time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with staff on a small, growing team
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Office, and other basic computer and online tools
- Availability within hours of operation and some evening hours
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Experience in donor databases and CRMs (bonus points for experience with EveryAction)
- Knowledge of the professional arts industry and urban arts landscape
- Understanding of East Harlem and/or neighborhoods with similar cultural, racial, and socioeconomic demographics
Hi-ARTS staff currently operate with a hybrid work model. Currently, all staff members must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
This is a part-time (25 hours per week) salaried exempt position. Salary is $40,000 per year. The position does not include medical, dental or vision coverage. Hi-ARTS has a generous and flexible vacation, personal, and sick leave policy.
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: Development Associate.
Include a cover letter in the body of the email and attach a resume.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Priority will be given to applicants who submit information by December 30, 2022.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Hi-ARTS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: arts administration, development, fund-raising, individual giving, and institutional giving. States: New York.
Please Share the Development Associate job: