Full-Time Curatorial Coordinator
Reporting to Director of Exhibitions and Collections, the Curatorial Coordinator provides support for all departmental activities.
Requires interaction with staff, interns, Trustees, and vendors.
The Curatorial Coordinator will also assist with various aspects of exhibition and catalogue preparation and execution.
Department: Exhibitions and Collections
Supervisor: Director of Exhibitions and Collections
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to the practice and understanding of photography and the reproduced image in all its forms. Through our exhibitions, school, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the role images play in our culture. Since our founding, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level.
ICP is a center where photographers and artists, students and scholars can create and interpret the world of the image.
Reporting to Director of Exhibitions and Collections, the Curatorial Coordinator provides support for all departmental activities. Requires interaction with staff, interns, Trustees, and vendors. The Curatorial Coordinator will also assist with various aspects of exhibition and catalogue preparation and execution.
• Supports Director of Exhibitions and Collections in managing the department
• Coordinates Exhibitions and Collections internship program
• Supports the general operation of the Exhibitions and Collections offices, including ordering and distributing supplies; processing incoming and outgoing mail; coordinating access to Jersey City space
• Responds to inquiries from other ICP departments and the public; some requiring research, consolidation of information, and interpretation
• Approves and processes departmental bills and invoices; act as liaison with Finance Department; tracks departmental budget expenditures and reconcile department credit card accounts
• Organizes Acquisitions Committee meetings in coordination with the Development team, including preparation of meeting materials and research on works to be presented
• Coordinates exhibition proposal review process and responses
• Produces agendas and other materials for cross-department meetings, project-specific meetings, and appointments with external stakeholders (designers, etc.)
• Maintains content for, and is the general reviewer of, all published materials produced by ICP that incorporate curatorial content, including but not limited to: exhibition materials, e-communications, website entries, press releases. Checks for accuracy, credit lines, approved language, and images
• Serves as internal web liaison for Exhibitions department
• Liaises with Human Resources regarding hiring and all HR paperwork
• Assists with creating, developing, and maintaining exhibition checklists, object labels, and other gallery texts, including interactive and/or educational materials
• Maintains databases for exhibition histories and mailing lists
• Maintains active exhibition files, and file archives
• Maintains and distributes exhibition calendar on a regular basis
• Works with all relevant departments to create, update, and distribute task installation schedule in consultation with all departments in all gallery spaces. Follow up with relevant staff to ensure deadlines are met
• Manages department library
• Coordinates exhibition installation documentation, maintains exhibition documentation inventory, and organizes digital files for future use
• Organizes Exhibitions Committee meetings, including preparation of meeting materials
• Aids in special projects
• Additional responsibilities as assigned
• May occasionally require some evenings and/or weekends
• Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field preferred
• Experience working in an office environment required
• Prior curatorial experience preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Solid administrative, clerical, and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail
• Advanced knowledge and recent experience using current computer programs (e.g., Filemaker Pro, Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative suite) as well as basic technical support
• Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously in a highly demanding and fast-paced work environment, and with limited supervision
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff, artists, galleries. Experience supervising support staff
• Adherence to deadlines and strong follow-through
• Flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
• A desire to function in a team and in a service-oriented environment
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to exercise high level of discretion, diplomacy, and initiative
• Interest in photography and knowledge of photography world, including major photographers, dealers, and institutions
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Apply online: https://www.icp.org/jobs
No telephone calls please. The International Center of Photography is an Equal Opportunity Employer.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: coordinator, curatorial, exhibition, and photography. States: New York.
Please Share the Curatorial Coordinator job: