Curator / Associate Curator
• Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego
• Title Range: Associate Curator (pay range: 63,457 – 66,692) -or- Curator (pay range: 78,119 – 82,231)
• Department: Curatorial Affairs
• Reports to: Senior Curator
• Employee Status: Full-time, Exempt
• Primary Work Location: La Jolla
OUR WORK CULTURE:
The Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego (MCASD) provides employees with a collaborative work culture where they can combine both their love and support of the arts and work in an enriching and diverse environment, while further developing their specific professional knowledge, skills, and abilities.
It is an exciting time to join MCASD! Our La Jolla campus re-opened in April 2022 after a five-year expansion effort that doubled the building’s overall size. We are positioned to be a cultural beacon for the region with our La Jolla flagship building. With its two locations, MCASD is the region’s foremost forum devoted to the exploration and presentation of the art of our time, presenting works across all media created since 1950. Located in the heart of downtown San Diego and in the coastal community of La Jolla, MCASD provides an unprecedented variety of exhibition spaces and experiences for the community, showcasing an internationally recognized collection and a dynamic schedule of exhibitions and public programs.
INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND ACCEPTANCE:
MCASD is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds and experiences. Studies show that people from underrepresented backgrounds and/or identities apply to positions only when they are confident that they meet 100% of the qualifications. We’d like to change that dynamic, so we don’t want to miss out on great candidates. If you have equivalent skills, experience, and/or education relevant to the job and are willing to learn, we value your expertise and encourage you to apply.
MCASD will consider applicants with varying ranges of breadth and depth of knowledge, skills, and experience and for the title range of Associate Curator or Curator. This position will work within a dedicated Curatorial team and in close collaboration with The David C. Copley Director and CEO. The Associate Curator or Curator will support the needs of the department by assisting with a variety of programmatic and administrative tasks related to exhibitions, MCASD’s 5,600+ object collection, and programmatic activities at MCASD’s two locations. Support mission and vision of Museum throughout performance of duties.
- Initiate, budget, plan, and implement internally generated and traveling exhibitions.
- Work across departments to support planning and logistics for exhibitions, including installation, promotion, fundraising, education, and public programming.
- Undertake original research and provide scholarly contributions to publications and gallery texts.
- Contribute curatorial text and content to meet a broad range of Museum applications including educational, press, digital media, social media, and advancement purposes.
- Collaborate to build and refine the collection by acquisition and donation.
- Conduct research and prepare materials on proposed loans and acquisitions.
- Participate in quarterly meetings of the Museum’s Collections Committee.
- Support donor cultivation and actively participate in stewardship opportunities representing the Museum.
- Maintain expertise in the contemporary art field through travel and professional development, including studio visits with artists, museum and gallery visits, and broad research and reading.
- Participate in Museum’s Education & Engagement programs, such as lectures, exhibition tours, panel discussions, and Museum Educator training.
- Travel and work alternate, part-time, or special event shifts, including weekends and/or after regular business hours as needed.
- Perform routine office and administrative tasks
- Ensure safe work environment through knowledge of and adherence to safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Outstanding oral and written communication skills with the ability to convey artistic content to colleagues, community, and stakeholders. Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to engage effectively with artists, colleagues, the public, and the Board. Proven experience in organizing contemporary art exhibitions and a record of scholarly research and publications. Knowledge of museum practices and protocol and an existing network of relationships with museums, galleries, and collectors. Academic and practical knowledge of American and international art markets and a broad knowledge of art history. Strong technical skills and proficiency in MS Office. Ability to conduct independent scholarly research. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred. Master’s degree in Art History with a thorough knowledge of modern and contemporary art and five to eight years recent, relevant experience or any equivalent education and experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to see, listen, and talk for extended periods. Ability to perform repetitive motions, making substantial movements of the wrists, hands, or fingers. Ability to use a keyboard for extended periods. Ability to remain in a sedentary position for extended periods. Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull, exerting up to 10 pounds or a negligible amount occasionally, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Ability to drive and have and maintain a valid driver’s license and evidence of insurability.
BACKGROUND CHECKS AND LICENSING:
Professional references and criminal background check.
Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and demonstrate proof of vaccination upon hire, unless approved for a disability or religious accommodation.
We thrive by supporting and celebrating our diversity as a creative and collaborative team. MCASD prohibits discrimination and harassment against individuals based on race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
HOW TO APPLY: CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Job Categories: Arts and Culture and Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: contemporary art, curator, curatorial, and museum. States: California.
Please Share the Curator / Associate Curator job: