Arizona Broadway Theatre is seeking a full-time, hands-on, costume director who will be responsible for the leadership, coordination, and planning of the day-to-day operations of the costume shop. When necessary, the costume director may be called upon to assist with the draping or construction of costumes.
The Costume Director must have the skills, experience, and education to be able to:
- Participate in pre-production planning as it pertains to all elements of costume design.
- Work with Producers and Directors on the costume design concept.
- Research period details, fabric availability, and rental possibilities for each production.
- Estimate the expense of labor and materials to build costumes as designed.
- Determine staffing needs for individual productions.
- Build and maintain costumes for each production.
- Hire, supervise, and guide all costume and wardrobe employees.
- Oversee all purchases made for costume and wardrobe departments.
- Monitor budget status as build is progressing to ensure build is completed within budget.
- Ensure that all costumes are ready as scheduled.
- Achieve the artistic goal of Arizona Broadway Theatre and the Costume Designer
- Maintain all aspects of the costume shop including sewing machines, equipment, tools, staff safety, and inventory of materials.
- Oversee the cleaning and maintenance of all costumes through the run of the production.
- Create an Original Design for up to four productions per season.
- Knowledge of and experience in all areas of theatrical costuming.
- Work experience in the preparation and construction of theatre costumes.
- Ability to operate a sewing machine and perform sewing, patterning, and clothing construction are required.
- Knowledge of and experience in basic accounting procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management.
- Working knowledge of costume and fashion history including costume manufacturing history.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including historical references and modern availabilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills
- A bachelor’s degree is required with a degree in Theatre preferred.
- Ten years’ experience working in a Theatre’s costume shop; at least five years of this experience should be managerial/supervisory.
- At least five years practical work experience in the preparation and construction of theatre costumes.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed.
- Performing Arts Occupations: 10 years (Preferred)
Please email cover letter, references, and resume to Production Manager -Jamie Parnell at email@example.com
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: costume, costume design, director, performing arts, and recruitment. States: Arizona.