Temporary Communications Assistant
The Communications Assistant will serve as an integral member of the Communications team, providing crucial administrative support and supporting press efforts around special exhibitions, education programs, and institutional initiatives. Key duties include servicing media inquiries, helping to manage the press database and images, providing support with virtual press events, tracking media coverage, and additional duties as assigned. The position is full time temporary through June 2021, and the incumbent will be working remotely.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Servicing media requests for images and other assets
- Assisting with the maintenance and updating of the Whitney Press Site
- Indexing and organization of press-approved images, including ensuring proper captions and credits are noted
- Responding to press requests via email
- Coordinating film and photography shoots at the museum, including liaising with internal departments as necessary
- Updating press email lists and database in Raiser’s Edge
- Creating and disseminating press kits and exhibition catalogues
- Arranging press tickets and press visits
- Tracking and indexing press clippings weekly
- Reporting media statistics and updating media reports weekly using Meltwater and other software
- Reviewing press account requests
- Creating presentations and agendas for meetings; note-taking at meetings
- Scheduling of leadership and team meetings
- Processing invoices and other expenses
B.A. (arts, marketing or communications degrees preferred); 1-2 years of experience working in arts or non-profit communications; excellent oral and written communication skills; knowledge of or interest in contemporary American art; ability to work independently and handle challenging situations; MS Office essential; Raiser’s Edge and Meltwater familiarity a plus.
About the Museum
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
How to Apply
Apply online: whitney.org/about/job-postings
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Temporary. Job Tags: assistant, communication, gallery, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Communications Assistant job: