Assistant Paintings Conservator
• Full-time, Non-exempt job position.
• Department: Conservation
Assistant Paintings Conservator – Conservation
As a highly engaged member of the Conservation team, the Assistant Paintings Conservator addresses the needs of paintings in our holdings and collections, under the direction of the Associate Paintings Conservator and Chief Conservator.
A successful candidate will meet many of these requirements, and have the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job.
- Graduate degree in conservation from a recognized training program, or equivalent experience, with a specialization in paintings
- Thorough understanding of current best practices in the field of conservation, as well as the American Institute for Conservation’s Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice
- Exemplary hand skills and experience with conservation treatments including consolidation, surface cleaning, varnish removal, compensation for loss, tear repair, and linings
- Demonstrated experience performing conservation documentation using digital photography, X-radiography, infrared reflectography, and multi-band imaging (MBI), and familiarity with X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy (pXRF), polarized light microscopy (PLM), and paint cross-section analysis
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player, able to participate in the overall goals of our Conservation department and to work with Museum staff in order to ensure the care of our collections
- Perform a full range of technical examination and treatment procedures on paintings in our encyclopedic collection
- Conduct moderate treatments on historic frames and design new frame packages
- Maintain accurate conservation records
- Conduct archival and scientific research, and work with living artists to gather information about the creation, preservation, and display of artworks in the collection
- Evaluate and process external loan requests
- Oversee interns and assist them with conservation treatment and other related projects
- Participate in the lab’s preventive conservation, education, and development activities
- Other duties and tasks as assigned
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Chief Conservator
Position type: Full-time
Union status: Non-union
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
How to Apply
For detailed job description and to apply visit:
Brooklyn Museum: Careers
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at email@example.com
The Brooklyn Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants for positions are considered without regard to race, creed, color, country of origin, sex, age, citizenship, disability, or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, exhibition, museum, and painting. States: New York.
Please Share the Assistant Paintings Conservator job: