Full-Time Assistant Director – CMS-D
Provide oversight of the CMS-Detroit administrative staff and instructional faculty, including teachers of classes, ensembles, private lessons and music therapy programs. Oversee school policies and procedures in alignment with MSU policies and procedures. Hire, evaluate and mentor faculty and staff; further develop community engagement activities and student recruitment; advance school public relations and marketing initiatives; supervise grant funded projects and student recruitment. Oversees facilities scheduling in the MSU Detroit Center or successive unit. The Assistant Director reports to the Dean of the College of Music through the Director of the Community Music School.
The work-week for the Assistant Director is generally Tuesday through Saturday during the school year, and Monday through Friday during summers; this position requires occasional evenings and extended weekend work.
- Oversee the daily administration of the CMS-D including responsibilities for tuition and sales income, registration software, program budgets, personnel, marketing and facilities
- Contribute to the design and implementation of new courses, curricula and programs in response to need
- Supervise administrative and instructional faculty (teachers of classes, ensembles private lessons and therapy services); program managers report directly to the assistant director
- Maintain job descriptions, roles and responsibilities of staff, faculty, and volunteers
- Develop teaching artists through faculty development
- Assist with hiring of faculty, staff and interns
- Observe classes and ensembles in rehearsals and/or performances
- Manage schedule of recitals, concerts and other special events
- Overall responsibility for community engagement and marketing includes promotion of classes, outreach efforts and performances
- Produce a marketing plan and related materials, annual class schedule
- Assist with annual report, and newsletters
- Assess effectiveness of programs
- Nurture relationships with existing Detroit Center communities and university partners (including University Engagement and Outreach, Admissions, Education, Advancement and Governmental Affairs).
- Master’s degree (music preferred)
- 3-5 years of arts administration and music education.
- Thorough understanding of music pedagogy, band, orchestra, instrumental and vocal music practices, and the K-12 music education landscape.
- Ability to develop innovative music education program offerings that are relevant to the Detroit community
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership, organizational and time management skills.
- Research skills are a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Apps, and database management.
- Experience working with diverse children and families, and the ability to cultivate a strong rapport with a broad range of young students, faculty, and staff
- Excellent project management skills.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 180 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing live-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 program of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
To apply: Go to www.careers.msu.edu and search for posting number: 598120
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities and individuals from other underrepresented groups that can diversify the impact of data analytics across the university mission.
Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, assistant, director, education, human resources, and recruitment. States: Michigan.
Please Share the Assistant Director – CMS-D job: