Summary of Position:
Golden Thread Productions seeks a full time Artistic Producer to support our ongoing efforts to diversify the American theatre through the development and production of theatre devoted to the Middle East.
The goal of this position is to implement Golden Thread’s mission through compelling artistic programming, engagement of a vibrant artistic community, and the documentation of the company’s artistic output and impact.
This is an incredible opportunity for an emerging creative arts professional seeking a hands-on position in the production of an annual season at a nationally-recognized non-profit theatre company.
The Artistic Producer will assist the Executive Artistic Director (EAD), in close collaboration with the Managing Director (MD), in the day-to-day management of Golden Thread’s artistic programs, ensuring their effective planning, implementation and evaluation.
Our main programs include full mainstage productions, a biennial Reorient Festival of Short Plays, a New Threads staged reading series, an International Women’s Day event, a digital live-stream series called No Summary, and a Resident Artists program. goldenthread.org/programs/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the reading and assessment of scripts and sending responses to playwrights.
- Manage all details of casting and auditions including Equity, season and general auditions, casting database, and actor communication.
- Assist the EAD in assembling creative teams and technical support and organizing relevant staffing and resources for programs.
- Communicate directly with playwrights, literary agents, artists and other theatre peers.
- Serve as lead producer for New Threads staged reading series and new play development workshops.
- Provide production management support including, but not limited to, season calendar scheduling, technical direction planning, coordination of design and production meetings, budget management and monitoring, rehearsal logistics, and other production related details.
- Attend technical rehearsals, previews, performances and events as needed.
- Act as a liaison between all departments involved in the production process to ensure timely and accurate information flow.
- Work with the MD to administer union agreements, artist contracts, production and employment paperwork.
- Prepare production reports for Equity, budget, program impact, production and design meetings.
- Contribute to short and long term planning by participating in strategic planning, artistic visioning, and annual budget creation.
- Assist the EAD and the MD in project grant-writing and fundraising efforts.
- Participate in community outreach and audience engagement efforts by developing relationships with MENA community organizations through meaningful dialogue, creative partnerships, and attendance at public events.
- Support audience engagement activities including lobby activities, audience surveys, post show talk backs, pre-show events, artist conversations and gatherings.
Public Relations and Marketing:
- Participate in developing and disseminating strategies with the EAD, MD, and Marketing & Communications Associate for company, production and special event marketing and promotion plans.
- Coordinate the documentation and archival of productions and events and maintain artistic digital files.
- Represent and promote the organization through attendance at development and marketing events and participation in Bay Area theatre community as required.
Additional duties as assigned by the EAD.
Qualifications and Skills:
- An understanding of the process, challenges, and demands of a producing theatre with at least 5 years professional experience in regional non-profit theatre production and/or new play development.
- Awareness of local and national theatrical ecology with a particular understanding of MENA theatre.
- Proven organizational and time management skills, attention to detail, strategic and analytical thinking with an ability to manage multiple projects at once, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- A collaborative spirit, self-motivating and adaptable approach with a positive attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work with varied communication styles.
- Technical theater knowledge preferred, but not required.
- A dedication to working within the guiding vision of the company including a passion for transformative stories, perspectives, and voices, respect for an artist-centered and MENA focused approach, and an appreciation for health and balance in our art practice and our lives.
- A commitment to equity and inclusion, and the ability to work with diverse groups of artists and audiences. Political awareness of and sensitivity to the plurality of thought and culture both within the Middle East and its world-wide diaspora is preferred.
- Proficiency in basic computer applications like Word, Excel, Email and Google.
- Must be able to push or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds, and lift or carry objects weighing up to 15 pounds.
We believe that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences.
We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications above.
If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
This is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Executive Artistic Director. Annual salary is $58,240. Our offices are located in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighborhood. Some on-site evening and weekend hours will be required according to production needs. Benefits include paid time off. Some work may be done remotely.
Golden Thread provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. Golden Thread is a current member of Theater Communications Group’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Institute.
Please email a resume and a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the position and our organization, along with three or more references from current and/or former supervisors, to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Artistic Producer.
No phone calls or packets by regular mail, please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain upon until filled.
Early submissions are encouraged. Ideal start date: November 15, 2021.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, marketing, production, production manager, public relations, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the Artistic Producer job: