Full-Time Job Interior Artistry Designer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Function & Scope:
The Interior Artistry Program Designer will work collaboratively with the design team in the creation of design concepts, details, and shop drawings. The process often begins with the development of concept sketches for historic spaces which have suffered inappropriate post-historic renovation or new construction. It is the role of the designer to develop an overall artistry program addressing the selection of color; development of decorative elements and ornament such as borders, stencils, and ornamental plaster; artwork including murals; as well as furnishings, looking to historic precedent, existing architecture, and wishes of the client team. A significant proportion of this work is liturgical (specifically in the Roman Catholic tradition although not exclusively), the designer should be familiar with ecclesiastical iconographic tradition. The preliminary vision articulated in the concept phase frequently establishes the scope of work for subsequent implementation phases so it is important the designer understand how the designs will be produced. The Interior Artistry Program Designer should be able to recreate historic designs using reports and research.
Specific responsibilities on any given day or will depend upon the projects under contract. Each task requires thoughtful engagement. Working in EverGreene’s studio will impart “old world” training in techniques and philosophy which are extremely rare today. There is nothing routine about design work at EverGreene.
The role may include but is not limited to:
• Hand sketching concept designs indicating suggested decoration, selecting colors, hand painting renderings, as well as detailing patterning, ornament, figurative artwork, attachment systems & shop drawings by hand and digitally.
• Digitizing unique, hand drawn elements, for integration into plans, drawings & photographs
• Digitally producing concept designs and details
• Making & verifying measurements & proportions.
• Diligent research and insistence of quality work
• Formatting / arranging design pages including scale, critical information on drawings & other design materials for presentation to clients & use in the field.
• Organizing project details for easy reference
• Managing drawings including document control (marking up drawings, making revisions, retracting defunct drawings, & reissuing revisions)
• Developing conceptual designs
• Developing color palettes
• Communicate directly with architects and clients to follow up on designs or request more information.
• Ability to switch projects, prioritize and troubleshoot.
Requirements & Skills
• Strong portfolio showing range of style and technique and ability to draw and paint figures, landscape and ornament realistically.
• Degree in fine arts (BFA) minimum. Training in historic preservation and architecture a plus.
• Specific training in designing, figurative drawing & drawing classical ornament
• Solid understanding of the relationship of scale and patterns, and the purpose of decoration in architecture
• Understanding of color, and ability to paint
• Historic restoration knowledge/experience preferred
• Organized, focused with the ability to work in a fast-past setting
• Strong solution-focused and systematic thinking skills
• Exceptional hand-rendering abilities
• Understanding of fabrication / production materials & construction techniques
• Familiarity with principles & vocabulary of classical architecture & liturgical artistry
• Familiarity of liturgical / ecclesiastical artistry tradition
• Passion for art in architecture, historic restoration and new design
• Abilities to work collaboratively and independently are essential
• Proficiency in English (written & spoken)
• Experienced in working in: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office Suite
• Preferred but not required: Experience in Rhino 3D, Google sketch up , AutoCAD
This position will require the employee to visit project sites. Most of the designer’s time will be spent in the New York studio however some travel to local & distant job sites is required. The individual must be able to navigate a jobsite that is under construction. Employee will be trained to be compliant with OSHA safety procedures including the consistent and proper use of required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when visiting project sites. Periodic overtime may be required.
Work Environment/Job Conditions:
This job is performed in an office setting and requires frequent sitting (working on a computer), frequent walking, standing, bending, and reaching. Due to computer usage, there is a repetitive motion of the hands and wrists.
EverGreene Architectural Arts is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited in the workplace including all project sites.
EverGreene Architectural Arts is an Affirmative Action – Equal Opportunity Employer.
|• Job Title:||Interior Artistry Designer|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||EverGreene Architectural Arts|
|• Location:||New York, United States|