Full-Time Executive Director
Fitton Center for Creative Arts
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SEARCH 2015
The Fitton Center for Creative Arts is in search of a dynamic and passionate leader to serve as Executive Director to take the organization to its next level of development and to continue to contribute to the city of Hamilton’s renaissance through the arts.
The Fitton Center, named after a prominent Hamilton family, grew from a 1991 Bicentennial and cultural planning process. The cultural action plan took place in late 1990 and was led by national arts planning consultant, the late Ralph Burgard. This plan included the building of an arts center and after expansions in its tenth and twentieth years, the facility is now 48,000 square feet. The entire complex is dedicated to the arts in all disciplines and for all ages and abilities of participants. The organization, now in its 22nd year, has a legacy of changing lives and building community through the arts. This is accomplished through ten programs and initiatives including over 250 classes, workshops, and summer camps annually plus 66 other events. The Center houses a 239-seat theatre, and a gorgeous Ballroom with traditional décor.
VISION AND MISSION
The vision of the Fitton Center is a culturally vibrant community. The mission is building community excellence through the arts and culture.
The Executive Director (ED) reports directly to the Board of Directors, typically through the Board President. The ED has overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Fitton Center’s staff, programs, operations, and mission pursuit through implementation of the Board’s ends via the strategic plan.
The Fitton Center is organized under Policy Governance. The Board has established written policies in Executive Boundaries, Board/Executive Director Linkage, Governance Process, and Ends. All but Ends were developed and adopted in 1998. The Board continues the ongoing process of Ends policy development. The ED is expected to have a basic understanding of the Policy Governance model of board development to ensure a cohesive working relationship with the Board. The ED is responsible for the hiring, coaching, mentoring, pay scale, evaluation, and termination of all staff. The Board’s only responsibility regarding staff functions is the ED. The ED is only accountable to the Board as a whole rather than any individual Board member.
LEADERSHIP and MANAGEMENT
• Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising development, communications, and internal systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve Ends and strategic goals.
• Actively engage and energize board members, staff, volunteers, partnering organizations, and funders
• Develop, maintain, and support a strong and influential Board of Directors that are passionate about and committed to the organization; serve as ex-officio on board committees; appoint and support staff committees; seek and build board involvement with Ends development and setting organizational direction into the future
• Lead, coach, develop, and retain the Fitton Center’s high-performance senior management team; ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Board, funders, and stakeholders
DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
• Expand local revenue generating and development activities to support existing program operations and new programs while ensuring the reduction of construction debt
• Deepen and expand all aspects of communications from the web presence to external relations in order to maintain and build a stronger brand and image for the organization
• Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
PLANNING AND NEW BUSINESS
• Maintain and strengthen the Fitton Center’s national, regional and local presence and develop a strategic cultural planning process for expansion into new markets
• Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with funders, political, community, and business leaders at potential expansion locations
• Be a local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results as a model for regional and national replication
The ED will be thoroughly committed to the mission of the Fitton Center for Creative Arts. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationships management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and qualifications include:
• Advanced degree with at least 10 years of senior management experience in an arts organization
• Track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based, results oriented organization and staff
• Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of development
• Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven evaluation
• Excellence in organizational management with proven ability to coach staff, manage in today’s environment, develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and develop/manage a budget
• Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
• Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising development experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
• Visionary, yet action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
• Collaborative leader who can work effectively with diverse groups of people
• Able to bring out the best in others; comfortable sharing credit and successes
• Tenacious, able to creatively respond to challenges
• Highly collaborative and transparent, able to inspire confidence and trust
• Strong in character and in vision—able to keep the end in mind—and be optimistic and positive
• Warm and inviting, able to bring others to the work
• Able to deploy humor and levity in daily work
Interested parties may apply online only. Please send cover letter, complete resume and references to:
Fitton Center Search Committee, c/o Linda Yarger, Fitton Center Board President. Yargerlinda@aol.com
The application deadline is Friday, February 13, 2015.
Starting date for Executive Director position: May 1, 2015
|• Job Title:||Executive Director|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Fitton Center for Creative Arts|
|• Location:||Hamilton, Ohio, United States|
Apply for this Job