Full-Time Job Director of Visual and Performing Arts
The Cambridge Public Schools is a diverse, urban district that is known for its exciting and extensive visual and performing arts program with offerings in the fine and visual arts, music, dance, and theatre. Our partners and relationships include the Cambridge Arts Council, Longy School of Music, Harvard University City Step Dance Program, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Kodaly Music Institute, the Boston Ballet, and Lesley University College of Art and Design among many others.
Cambridge highly values the arts and provides music, accessories, and instruments at no cost to students and families. Our music program is comprehensive, expansive and varied, ranging from on-going district-wide adoption of the Kodaly pedadogy in elementary music; chorus, orchestra, band and instrumental at the middle grades; and a comprehensive performance-based music education at the high school level. The CPS theater program helps students learn to communicate, collaborate, create and celebrate by experiencing the theater arts with courses, main stage drama productions and after-school opportunities for those interested in performance and technical theater. The visual arts program spans all grades and nurtures a diverse range of visual arts literacy while developing intuition, reasoning, and imagination into unique forms of expression and communication, including photography and ceramics. Our vibrant dance program focuses on modern dance training supplemented by ballet, jazz, world dance, and academic inquiry at the high school level, with an array of guest teachers, community organizations, and performance opportunities to enrich students’ dance experiences.
The Director of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) reports to the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction and is responsible for providing visionary, creative and sound curricular, instructional and administrative leadership for the visual and performing arts department, its sixty staff members, and Cambridge Public Schools students grades K-12.
• Hire, supervise and evaluate visual and performing arts teachers and staff, working collaboratively with school principals.
• Oversee and assure high quality curriculum and instruction in visual arts, music, dance, and theater district-wide.
• Organize and conduct department meetings and coordinate professional development opportunities
• Coordinate and oversee concert, exhibition, and performance offerings, music festivals, arts workshops, etc.
• Develop, allocate, manage and monitor departmental and grant budgets, costs, and expenditures.
• Develop and maintain effective community and partnership relationships, and create new avenues for visual and performing arts exploration and experiences district-wide
• Oversee and arrange for the care and supply of instructional and performance facilities, equipment, materials and supplies.
• Arrange for and oversee promotional announcements and materials, press releases, venues, ticketing,e tc. for internal and external performances, exhibitions, competitions, etc.
• Work collaboratively with school principals and other staff to develop the district-wide VPA schedule and calendar.
• Perform other responsibilities as may arise or be assigned.
Master’s Degree, preferably in related field, and expertise in at least one area of visual and performing arts. At least five years administrative/leadership experience. Massachusetts educator licensure (or ability to obtain licensure) for Supervisor/Director – Arts and/or Principal/Assistant Principal. Experience in a diverse, urban, multicultural setting with an understanding of a variety of approaches to instruction highly desirable. Excellent organizational, communications, management, and budget/financial skills required. Ability to travel to different schools and locations on a daily basis, and work evenings and weekends as may be required. Expertise in at least one area of the arts, preferably with at least five years classroom teaching experience.. Performance or exhibition experience a plus.
Work Year: 11 months (206 days)
Salary: $108,339 – $121,340 (In accordance with the Cambridge Education Association Unit B Salary Schedule).
To apply, submit your application online at www.cpsd.us by clicking on Careers.
Applications requested by February 10, 2017.
|• Job Title:||Director of Visual and Performing Arts|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Cambridge Public Schools|
|• Location:||Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States|