Internship Art Administration Intern
DEPARTMENT: Joffrey Ballet School – Art Administration
POSITION: Arts Administration Intern 2018
REPORTS TO: Intern Supervisor
LOCATION AND DATES
Please note the below dates include training time and days. Also note in NYC contracts will vary in length and will not necessarily be the length of a full program, or contract dates could overlap with multiple programs. In satellite programs, those hired need to commit to the full duration of the program(s). Although unusual, these dates are subject to change; you will be alerted in the unlikely event that any changes affect your contract.
NYC Summer Sessions: June 4 – August 24, 2018
Jazz and Contemporary
Broadway Musical Theater
Character and World Dance
Pre-Professional Program and Joffrey Experience
Los Angeles Summer Session: June 11-29, 2018
Broadway Musical Theater
Dallas Summer Session: July 16 – August 3, 2018
Ballet and Jazz Intensives
San Francisco Summer Session: July 16 – August 3, 2018
Athens/Colorado Summer Session: June 4- July 20, 2018
Miami Summer Session: June 25 – July 27, 2018
Las Vegas Summer Session: July 23-27, 2018
Joffrey Ballet School seeks hard working and enthusiastic individuals for Arts Administrative Interns in New York City, Dallas, San Francisco, LA, Miami, Las Vegas and Athens/Colorado. This is a temporary, full-time position, with live-in and on-call responsibilities. Interns are the administrative liaisons that maintain a presence at all Joffrey Studios. Their primary function is to ensure the daily operations of the studios run smoothly and oversee the students, faculty, and staff in the building. Interns are the presence in the building to greet students, faculty, and visitors, and problem-solve issues that arise. This position reports to the Intern Supervisor.
Applicants must be able to work within the artistic culture of Joffrey, have the ability to give and receive constructive feedback, be able to problem solve, have excellent verbal and written communication, and have good organizational and analytical skills. Dance and Residence Life/significant leadership experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Document attendance for students and faculty. Ensure the documentation taken matches the class level roster and office records.
2. Manage the check-in procedures for adult and summer intensive programs.
3. Update and maintain student records through system management software.
4. Assist with performance preparations and operations.
5. Become familiar with Joffrey processes including facilities, basic maintenance, basic medical procedures, school administrative offices, reception, school faculty and staff, and staff processes.
6. Work with the Joffrey administrative staff to ensure the well being of students and create a positive atmosphere for students.
7. Enforce the rules and code of conduct. For students in housing, communicate any behavioral issues or rule breaking to the DRL.
8. Document files and paperwork so they are efficiently organized and readily accessible.
9. Attend all meetings and training sessions.
10. Assist Instructors and Musicians with projects and ensure their spaces are ready for class.
11. Communicate with Intern Supervisor; give project status updates daily.
12. Work with housing staff to locate and assist lost students.
13. Accompany injured or sick students to medical facility as needed.
14. Performing building opening and closing procedures and maintenance. Always follow through on tasks to ensure they are completed in a timely manner. Complete and file all related documentation.
15. Work with JBS staff to prepare studios for the day, which may include removal of trash, transporting and laying marley flooring, construction of portable barres, and/or composition of music playback devices.
16. Use conflict-solving skills to assist students with problems or address problems between staff.
17. Perform other duties as assigned by Intern Supervisor, Artistic Directors, Chief Operating Officer, DRL, or any other Joffrey administrative staff.
Confidently supervise and lead peers, staff, and students.
Effectively prioritize work to reflect the needs of the students.
Excellent verbal and written communication
Demonstrate sound management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Manage difficult situations with tenacity and professionalism.
Effectively and fairly interpret and apply policies and procedures.
Maintain documentation, files and work papers that are readily accessible and understandable.
Demonstrate diplomacy and professionalism in all interactions.
Apply creativity and innovation to work processes.
Support and provide equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all.
Application Skills: Microsoft Office (particularly Excel and Word); social media (Instagram / facebook / twitter / snapchat); Dropbox; google docs and apps.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Must be able to physically assist an injured student, which may include lifting and/or supporting their weight(Minimum weight lifting requirement: 40 lbs). Must be able to assist students to climb/descend stairs in an emergency. Interns may be required to move equipment such as ballet barres, boxes of office supplies / equipment / files, and rolls of Marley between studios.
Pursuing or earned a Bachelor or Master degree in Arts Administration or Fine Arts Degree in Dance
Arts Administrative experience
Experience in Student Leadership, Higher Education, or Student Affairs
Experience or course work in childhood development or psychology a plus
Teaching experience, or other experience working with children
New York City: Interns receive room and board (if available) at Joffrey Ballet School housing, compensation in the amount of $200/week, unlimited subway pass (NY only), tickets to activities/Broadway shows. Free dance classes at Joffrey when not working.
Athens/Colorado / Dallas / LA / San Fran / Miami: Intern receives room and board compensation in the amount of $175/week, tickets to activities, and free dance classes at Joffrey when not on duty.
Please note all class participation is subject to approval by the Artistic Director.
Positions will be filled at a first come first serve basis to qualified candidates – please submit application early for best consideration. Applications will not be accepted after April 1. Final candidates who are offered a position will be required to undergo a background check.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in working as an Arts Administration Intern for our Summer Intensives please read the duties described above and submit the application form in the link below:
Positions will be filled at a first come first serve basis to qualified candidates – please submit application early for best consideration. Final candidates who are offered a position will be required to undergo a background check prior to finalizing the hiring process.
Apply for this Job