Part-Time Gallery Assistant
Part-Time, Temporary Job.
Gallery Assistants are the Museum’s in-gallery customer-service team. Gallery Assistants are responsible for responding to visitor questions, promoting the Museum’s broader offerings, and ensuring that visitors abide by the Museum’s visitor policies – all in a warm, welcoming and professional manner.
Upon the Whitney’s reopening this summer, Gallery Assistants have played an integral role in keeping our Museum community safe by ensuring visitors understand new policies like one-way systems, social distancing guidelines and face-covering requirements.
We’re looking for enthusiastic “people” people, eager to find moments of connection with our visitors. We seek talented people of all backgrounds: the Whitney values diversity of cultures, races and ethnicities, gender expressions, and abilities.
- Welcome visitors warmly to the galleries with a smile, a wave and a “hello!”
- Initiate conversations with visitors, anticipate visitor needs, and respond to visitor questions – all from a safe distance of 6 feet away
- Maintain the integrity of the Whitney’s galleries by ensuring that visitors understand appropriate onsite conduct and the Museum’s visitor policies. Deliver that message in a way that ensures visitors feel welcome, not chastised
- Maintain the health and safety of the entire Museum community by ensuring visitors understand and abide by social distancing guideline, face-covering requirements and one-way systems
- Act as an Ambassador for the Museum. Promote offerings like the Shop, membership program, and the overall exhibition program. You don’t need to be an art expert, but you do need to be a “Whitney Museum” expert
- Uphold high standards of customer service and professionalism at all times. Go the extra mile to ensure visitors have an exemplary onsite experience
- Keep an open line of communication with colleagues in Security, Facilities, Engineers, AV, Visitor Services, Member Services and Retail
- Other duties as required
- Friendly, outgoing, and professional attitude
- Genuine interest in customer service and public-facing roles
- A minimum of 1-2 years customer service experience
- Excellent communication and empathetic listening skills
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Must be available to work at least two days/week
- Interest in arts and culture a plus
- Bi-lingual a plus
Schedules, Pay & Start Date
- Part-time Gallery Assistants can be scheduled up to 25 hours/week. You must be available to work a minimum of two 8-hour shifts per week, including regularly on holidays and weekends
- Starting pay for the position is $17.00 per hour
- A mandatory orientation will take place on Tuesday, March 2 and Wednesday, March 3. Work schedules go into effect immediately after
- Post-Covid operations are uncertain. Employment will be temporary for a period of up to 6 months and then further reviewed.
At the Whitney, the safety and security of our staff and visitors is our top priority. Our operational plans are in line with CDC and state guidance on reducing transmission of Covid-19, and are reviewed on an on-going basis with an outside medical expert. Public-facing staff are issued PPE daily, among other precautions.
About the Whitney
The Whitney Museum of American Art, founded in 1930 by the artist and philanthropist Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, houses the foremost collection of American art from the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. From her vision arose the Whitney Museum of American Art, which has been championing the most innovative art of the United States for 86 years. The core of the Whitney’s mission is to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit American art of our time and serve a wide variety of audiences in celebration of the complexity and diversity of art and culture in the United States. Through this mission and a steadfast commitment to artists themselves, the Whitney has long been a powerful force in support of modern and contemporary art and continues to help define what is innovative and influential in American art today.
The Whitney Museum of American Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Museum does not discriminate because of age, sex, religion, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage or citizenship, disability, marital status, partnership status, veteran status, gender (including gender identity), sexual orientation, or any other factor prohibited by law. The Museum hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. The Museum encourages all qualified candidates to apply for vacant positions at all levels. This description shall not be construed as a contract of any sort for a specific period of employment.
How to Apply
Please visit the Museum’s website:
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Part-Time and Temporary. Job Tags: assistant, exhibition, gallery, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Gallery Assistant job: