Part-Time Visual Arts Teacher
Visual Arts Teacher to teach Arts in Corrections in the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
Do you have a calling to teach Visual Arts to adults incarcerated in the California state prison system, Ca Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)?
We currently have an opening for a driven individual who wishes to use arts and culture to better their community. The Visual Arts class will be one of four art forms offered through the Muckenthaler’s Arts in Corrections programs, which are funded by the CDCR and administered by the Ca Arts Council. It has been shown that when students participate in arts programming in the prison setting, racial separations dissolve in the classroom, tensions are eased among students, students are able to creatively express themselves, rates of recidivism decrease, and the students are rehabilitated.
Work with one of the most respected nonprofits in the region, using your talents and gifts and alongside our existing group of Master Artists!
Candidate’s primary responsibility would be in preparing world class lessons, teaching scintillating arts classes and enriching the lives of your students.
The Muckenthaler is located on 8.5 acres of perfectly landscaped parklands on a hill overlooking Fullerton.
Our Arts Education Outreach program has expanded from serving 1,000 students in 2009 at one site to over 21,000 students at 28 sites in 11 cities currently. Starting as an after school program, it has become multi-faceted reaching the underserved/at-risk children of our region. Our programs include scholarships for after-school classes/camps; art classes for Crittenton foster care, HIS House Shelter, Skyview School for the homeless children of OC, schools, community centers; free school tours; free senior arts classes; free festivals; and arts programs for community nonprofits. We developed the first STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) programs in Orange County: (physics through animation, plate tectonics/earthquakes through ancient stories, photography and magazine production, among others). We have established an arts education program at the MUZEO in Anaheim where we will provide after school arts programs (STEAM, music recording, dance, visual arts, ceramics, etc.) We provide arts classes in correctional facilities, a refugee school, and a shelter for human trafficking victims.
Part-time job with the possibility to turn into a Full-time Lead Artist position for the right person. Schedule to be determined. Classes will be held off-site.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and teach Visual Arts lessons for adults incarcerated in the Ca Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- Discuss and demonstrate various artistic techniques of Painting and Drawing.
- 3 years minimum experience in teaching Visual Arts
- Experience working with at-risk and underserved members of our community
- Work well with public and staff – have a commitment to diversity and proven ability to work effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds.
- Be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends
- Have a current California Drivers license, valid auto insurance
- Be able to effectively manage multiple complex functions and achieve goals and objectives
- Be able to work independently, under pressure and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently and complete assigned tasks within identified time-frames
- Positive attitude, flexibility and problem solving mentality.
- Must have the ability to recruit and retain students in your program.
- Job Offer is contingent on passing a background check, prison gate clearance, and TB Test
$25 – $60 per hour, DOE
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter and direct all questions to:
Chief Operations Officer
Muckenthaler Cultural Center
This list of job elements, responsibilities, duties, requirements, or conditions is not exhaustive, but is merely the most accurate list of the current job; and management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, or technical development).
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: artist, arts, arts education, call for artists, recruitment, teacher, and teaching. States: California.
Please Share the Visual Arts Teacher job: