Visual Arts Manager
Position Title: Visual Arts Manager
This position is the lead position for our Visual Arts exhibitions program and associated programs and products at View.
The Visual Arts Manager is responsible for establishing the creative direction and display for all aspects of our Visual Arts program.
This position reports to the President.
● Develop, plan, and implement Visual Arts programming that is consistent with and builds on View’s Mission, Vision and Brand; operational schedule and strategic plans, and strengthens our Visual Arts offerings.
● Serve as the primary View team liaison to the Visual Arts Committee and convey the importance of the View’s Mission, Vision and Brand to all audiences.
● Represent the organization Mission and Vision to artists, vendors, volunteers, interns, underwriters, and others when presenting Visual Arts exhibits and related programs.
● Works closely with the View leadership, team members and Visual Arts Committee to develop themes for exhibits and other visual arts product/program offerings; in particular look for opportunities to leverage Visual Arts with our other vertical or horizontal markets to develop programs and activities to coordinate with gallery exhibitions and installations (for example, Artist in residence programs, Docent tours, Lectures, creating and developing an Arts Guild, etc.)
● Provides instructional activities, educational and public service programs that augment Visual Arts programming at View.
● Other duties as assigned to ensure that View operates smoothly and efficiently, and that our Visual Arts program contributes to building a strong reputation and brand.
● Plan and execute all aspects of gallery exhibitions and installations, including conceptualizing and choosing themes for exhibits/shows, development of written proposals and calls for artists related to gallery exhibitions and presentations, juror and artist selection, catalog development, mounting and labeling shows including interpretive materials and related work to install exhibitions.
● Oversee all aspects of gallery operations including management of art display, storage of materials, arranging for insurance as necessary if applicable, supervise shipping and receiving of art and exhibition materials.
● Manage contracts for Visual Arts with appropriate approval levels from the CFO/Director of Operations and/or President.
● With the Visual Arts Committee and View leadership, develop and schedule plans for opening/closing receptions, and liaise with other View team members as necessary where they have responsibilities (ex: food, entertainment, gift shop, etc.).
● With the Visual Arts Committee and View leadership, develop and schedule plans for opening/closing receptions, artist lectures, Art Auction, Quilt Conference and other related Visual Arts programming and liaise with other View team members as necessary where they have responsibilities (ex: food, entertainment, gift shop, etc.).
● Coordinate Visual Arts volunteers with Membership/Volunteer Relations to ensure there are sufficient resources for assistance in implementation and support of the Visual Arts product portfolio.
● Develop appropriate survey or feedback tools and methodologies to evaluate success of exhibitions, and all aspects of exhibit development: catalog, mounting and labeling, juror selection.
● Prepare and manage annual Visual Arts operating budget with oversight from the CFO/Director of Business Operations and the President; participate in collaborative efforts to secure grants for Visual Arts exhibits and related events.
● Oversee safety and maintenance of all galleries and tools/equipment utilized for exhibits and related activities.
● Make recommendations for equipment needs and repairs in the galleries.
● Ensure that materials and supplies for exhibits or other Visual Arts programs are ordered, utilized efficiently, inventoried appropriately and kept in an organized manner.
Marketing and Outreach
● Propose social media and advertising content that promotes and markets our Visual Arts programs and events.
● Responsible for designing and creating Visual Arts related marketing and promotional materials including postcards, catalogs, posters, calendars, booklets and other related materials.
● Responsible for the Website Updates including adding upcoming exhibitions, slider images, and general website maintenance.
● Train volunteers, interns, docents and others as needed.
● Work with TOW and other schools to build a Visual Arts relationship and presence.
● Develop relationships with other Art Galleries for possible collaboration of exhibits or exchange of information.
● Be resident expert in Visual Arts; research national and regional/district museums and art galleries, media and art magazines/news, and social media for opportunities; attend meetings and conferences to further develop these skills.
Experience of 2-5 years of Exhibition Management is preferred.
Compensation and position offer will be commensurate with qualifications and experience in consideration of VIEW’s profile.
More About View:
Located at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains, on State Route 28 in Old Forge, NY, View brings a broad range of artistic and cultural programs to the area. Our View community consists of year-round and seasonal residents and tourists, many of whom enjoy the region’s natural beauty, taking advantage of the scenic lakes and mountains in the summer, the breathtaking beauty of the Fall foliage, and the expertly groomed snowmobile and ski trails in the winter months.
View’s blend of local and national artisans help create our unique, cultural community, where we host a varying array of artistic expression. Art shows and Exhibitions, including nationally-recognized watercolor and quilt shows, visual and performing arts, workshops, classes, presentations, and social events are just some of what we offer. Through these various programs, View seeks to:
● Promote and stimulate interest in the Arts and Culture,
● Offer enriching opportunities to learn and create,
● Provide entertainment and enjoyment,
● Encourage community involvement and participation, and
● Nurture an appreciation for the natural beauty and ecology of the Adirondacks.
How to Apply
To apply for the Visual Arts Manager position, submit cover letter and resume to bsunderlin@ViewArts.org.
Applications are reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
View is an EEO employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: advertising, exhibition, manager, media, programming, and visual arts. States: New York.
Please Share the Visual Arts Manager job: