Full-Time Visitor Experience Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator
The Visitor Experience (VX) Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator at The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) is one of the first direct points of contact with public visitors, members, tour and school groups, and VIP guests. All members of the Visitor Experience team are expected to be highly knowledgeable about The Museum, exhibitions, and public programs, and to facilitate an exceptional experience for each visitor.
The VX Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator’s responsibilities include training, record keeping and reporting, and supporting the Visitor Experience Manager in leadership responsibilities, often acting as deputy when needed. The position supports The Museum’s volunteer program by recruiting, training, and supervising volunteers. The VX Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator liaises with staff across Museum departments to identify volunteer needs and to place appropriate volunteers.
The VX Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator position requires a proactive, friendly and outgoing demeanor, and sound judgment and diplomacy to engage with diverse visitors, volunteers, and Museum staff. In collaboration with The Museum’s Security and Operations teams, The VX Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator works to maintain calm, control, and wellbeing throughout the public areas of The Museum, ensuring an enjoyable and safe environment.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Visitor Experience Supervisor
- Ensure visitor access and hospitality upon entrance at The CJM throughout the public spaces
- Greet and engage with visitors proactively, answer questions about The CJM’s history, mission, architecture, exhibitions and programming. Serve as a positive resource to visitors to create an enjoyable and thoughtful experience, and inspire a sense of Jewish welcoming
- Provide the highest level of customer service while performing duties including but not limited to selling general admission and program tickets, memberships, distributing audio guides, supporting coat check, and other interactions with Museum visitors
- Participate in and occasionally oversee opening and closing procedures
- Maintain retail displays, transact in-person and online sales, and support and assist VX Manager in retail planning
- Assist VX Manager with financial reports and banking transactions
- Train Visitor Experience Specialists (VES) on the POS/database system (Altru) procedures, membership sales, and day to day visitor experience operations. Work closely with appropriate staff to administer the online ticket sales process
- Provide departmental POS support, troubleshooting through system and phone support. Alert IT to equipment malfunctions
- Oversee daily operations of VES including staff supervision and acting as manager on duty in VX Manager’s absence
- Ensure new policies and procedures are incorporated in VES training and reference materials
- Help maintain clean, organized, and safe public spaces, in partnership with Museum Security and Operations teams
- Recruit, train, and schedule community volunteers for opportunities at The Museum including greeting visitors at coat check, ushering at public programs and events, and other assignments
- Plan, coordinate, and guide volunteer activities for public programs and events
- Provide day-of public program/event support to the Director of Public Programs and Visitor Experience, when needed. Support may include coordination with internal staff on set-up and breakdown, greeting and interfacing with presenters and performers, and assigning and overseeing community volunteers for the program/event
- Build strong relationships with volunteers, lead volunteer orientation sessions, and organize volunteer appreciation events
- Ensure that volunteer activities are carried out safely and effectively
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum 2 years sales and/or retail background with strong customer service
- Work experience in a museum or other non–profit arts or cultural organization a plus
- Background or strong interest in contemporary art and/or Jewish history preferred
- Commitment to the mission and core values of The CJM
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High standard of professionalism, friendliness, and diplomacy when interacting with a diverse group of colleagues, members of the public, and volunteers
- Ability to be proactive in welcoming, communicating with, and ensuring the safety of Museum visitors including tour groups, VIPs, guests, and staff
- Ability to problem solve unexpected issues in a public setting
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and to work independently and effectively while handling multiple tasks
- Knowledge and proficiency with Altru or similar database software
- Ability to train, inspire and lead volunteers
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Capable of responding to public emergency situations
- Ability to understand and respond to staff and customer requests in a loud environment
- Availability to work flexible hours to accommodate Museum schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Some intermittent physical activity may be required
Send cover letter and resume to:
The Contemporary Jewish Museum
Please indicate “VX Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator” in subject line.
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, age, marital or domestic partner status, sex, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, The CJM will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: coordinator, museum, and supervisor. States: California.
Please Share the Visitor Experience Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator job: