SPOLETO FESTIVAL USA – VENUE CARPENTER
Reports to: Venue Manager, Festival Carpenter
Supervises: Venue Apprentice Carpenter(s)
Anticipated Start Date: between May 2nd and May 16th
# of Weeks: ~4-7 weeks
Compensation: minimum $750 per week
Housing: Single room dorm provided
Travel: Airfare or stipend provided
The Venue Carpenter (VC) is responsible for the installation and operation of all scenic elements within a given Festival venue, to include both ground supported and flown items. The VC is also responsible for all rigging in the venue in support of all departments. Some festival venues will both produce original work and present existing work while other venues will only present. For produced work, the VC works to help realize the scenic designer’s vision. For the presented work, the VC works directly with the shows’ representatives to realize that vision. Every festival venue, in some capacity, will either rep between simultaneous shows or change between multiple shows over the course of the festival.
The VC reports directly to the Venue Manager (VM) in each venue. The VM helps to coalesce the information from every department and manage the venue schedule efficiently. The Festival Carpenter (FC) is responsible for creating the load-in and system setup plan for each venue. After the FC leaves the festival, generally when the festival opens, the VC will have a direct line to the Production Manager of Technology (PMT) for system and design information. The FC will communicate a load-in plan and share paperwork to the VC via Dropbox before the first day on contract.
Within the venue, the VC will work as a team with the Venue Electrician (VE) and Venue Audio (VA) as the core group that runs the venue on a daily basis under the supervision of the VM.
- Review the venue tech specs and any “How To” documents to understand how the venue works.
- Attend venue team meetings prior to venue load-in to review and receive communication on initial plans.
- Meet non-festival venue staff and establish how the working relationship will proceed.
- Strike the Rep Hang, taking note of how it was installed to restore at load out.
- Confirm rigging needs and any motor power requirements. Oversee the installation of motors and any fly system rigging needs to get the overstage lighting plot hung.
- Install scenery per the plan from the FC.
- Between load-in and performances, there will be several technical rehearsals. The VC will be responsible for overseeing the moving of scenery on stage and in the fly system.
- Execute any notes that arise during the tech and performance period. The FC will help create a prioritized list.
- Work with the venue team to determine the order of events for any rep changeovers.
- Work with the venue team to maintain an organized, clean, and safe backstage area for performers and technicians.
- Prep and execute strike plan.
- Work with the FC for a plan on disassembling the scenery. For presented shows, the set will get packed up per the company’s direction. For some produced operas, the set will be saved for future use.
- Proficient in AutoCAD 2d or Vectorworks and Microsoft Excel
- Must be a motivated self-manager with an inclination towards teaching and advising.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead a crew in a supportive manner and to react and adapt when a plan goes awry.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work long days, nights, and weekends with a continuously positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable working at height while adhering to SFUSA’s standards.
- Must be comfortable and able to work in the following conditions: low light or no light environments, catwalks, climbing ladders, confined spaces, standing for long periods of time.
- Proficient with power tools as well as field repairs of scenery
- First Aid Certification
- Rope Access Experience
About Spoleto Festival USA:
For 17 days and nights each spring, Spoleto Festival USA fills Charleston, South Carolina’s historic theaters, churches, and outdoor spaces with performances by renowned artists as well as emerging performers in opera; theater; dance; and chamber, symphonic, choral, and jazz music. Now approaching its 46th season in 2022, Spoleto Festival USA is internationally recognized as America’s premier performing arts festival.
The Festival’s mission is to present programs of the highest artistic caliber while maintaining a dedication to young artists, a commitment to all forms of the performing arts, a passion for contemporary innovation, and an enthusiasm for providing unusual performance opportunities for established artists.
The Festival is proud to provide young performers the opportunity to work with accomplished artists, conductors, directors, designers, and performers. Each season, the Festival employs more than 500 full-time, part-time, and seasonal staffers, including 80 musicians for the Spoleto Festival USA Orchestra and 60 apprentices in arts administration and production.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Spoleto Festival USA is an equal opportunity employer and committed to diversity in hiring. Equity is central to our culture, mission, and who we are as an arts organization. Spoleto Festival USA does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership, parental status, military status, or any other non-merit factor.
COVID Vaccination Requirement:
Spoleto Festival USA requires all staff and participants to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to accepting an offer of employment. Applicants acknowledge that they are fully vaccinated and are willing to: provide proof of vaccination upon request, maintain vaccination as recommended by public health authorities, and submit to testing and other health protocols as may be required now or in the future. Continued employment is conditional on these requirements.
Please email cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references to email@example.com with the subject line “VENUE CARPENTER”.
Applications must be received by January 31, 2022 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: carpentry, Festivals, and theatre. States: South Carolina.
Please Share the Venue Carpenter job: