Theater Technology Teacher and Designer
Production time frame: 9/1/22 – 12/16/22
Meridian Academy is a wonderful and distinctive learning community. We are an economically diverse, intentionally small, independent secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA.
Meridian is seeking a Set & Light Designer for our fall play, A Wrinkle in Time.
Applicants must be able to teach in person at our school in Jamaica Plain.
Share your passion and process with students who are interested in learning about design for the theatre. Designs can be simple as long as the students are engaged and learning throughout the process.
Opportunities for continuing collaborations in subsequent semesters are possible.
- Mentor a small group of ten to twelve middle and high school students helping them learn the technical and aesthetic aspects of theatre lighting and set design from conception to completion.
- Meet with students one afternoon a week from 3:30 – 5:30 PM and participate more intensively during rehearsals and performances in mid-December.
- Work collaboratively with the Director to develop ideas/a general plan for the set and lights for the fall play.
- Source and build necessary set pieces that can be installed with no damage to the performance space.
- Spearhead props acquisition.
- At least 2 years experience designing and building sets and lights.
- At least 2 years experience working with middle and/or high school students with the ability to break the needed skills down for younger students.
- Flexible, independent, and collaborative.
- You have a deep appreciation for kids aged 11-18 and for their ideas. You have fun working with them and believe that each has the ability to contribute and improve in their efforts.
- Pass a CORI check.
Note: The space in which we perform is a shared church hall in which we cannot install semi-permanent structures. Sets in the past have tended to be sourced furniture and props/set dressing or elements that can be disassembled and stored as needed. We do have access to tools, if safe practices can be taught and supervised.
Salary will be a competitive hourly wage.
Meridian Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, handicap, or any other protected class in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, hiring, and other school-administered programs.
How to Apply
- To learn more about our school, please visit our website www.meridianacademy.org/
- Send a résumé and cover letter describing your work with students and theater experience by email to Joshua Abrams, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: lighting design, Set Design, teach, and theater. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Theater Technology Teacher and Designer job: