Full-Time Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture
The Museum of Modern Art is currently seeking a curatorial assistant to assist senior curators in all areas of responsibilities, including administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as research for exhibitions and publications, loans, acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, and general curatorial inquiries.
Reports to: Senior curatorial titles
- Assists senior curators with all aspects of research, planning, organization, and realization of upcoming exhibitions.
- Writes, edits, and assists in the production of Museum publications and exhibition-related materials, including wall texts and extended object labels.
- Researches and catalogs the Museum collection and archives as they relate to the exhibition project. Answers related inquiries.
- Performs exhibition support functions, including bibliographic and checklist research, loan correspondence, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
- Assists in the maintenance of the collection and loans, and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, conservation, and preparation work as required in the gallery, study and storage areas.
- Functions as a liaison with outside persons and organizations, and with other departments within the Museum.
- May assist in research and preparation for potential acquisitions for the collection, including biographical and bibliographical research, maintaining files, and communicating with dealers, galleries, collectors, and artists, as necessary.
- Keeps informed of current activity in the area of departmental interest through gallery and museum visits, publications, etc. and makes recommendations to senior staff.
- Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and daily inspection of works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
- Answers inquiries and conducts gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
- Performs any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above.
- Master’s degree in art history, or equivalent work experience.
- Expertise in modern and contemporary art.
- Superior research and writing skills essential. Knowledge of at least one foreign language.
- Additional requirements include strong organizational skills and attention to detail and working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and other standard office procedures and skills.
- Familiarity with The Museum System (TMS) is helpful.
*Note: Please include a cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.*
Apply online at MOMA Jobs
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, curatorial, exhibition, MOMA, museum, non-profit, and sculpture. States: New York.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture job: