Technical Director Dance
University of California, Riverside→ Riverside, California, United States
• Job Number: 29740167
• Full/Part Time: Full Time
• Schedule: 8AM – 5PM
• Salary: $61,800 – $110,000
The Department of Dance is looking for a Technical Director with experience and interest in Lighting and Production Design. The incumbent will assist in the producorial responsibilities and facilitation of student, faculty and guest-artist interdisciplinary productions, programs and events.
The Technical Director will help support faculty artistic directors and mentor/advisors of undergraduate student creative activity and research including capstone projects and other less formal student-led performances. The Technical Director will help vision and execute the technical and design aspects of graduate student creative activity and research including MFA productions and projects, and other less formal graduate student-led performances. The Technical Director will also assist in the facilitation and execution of faculty led programming, including productions, conferences, and any event that requires production support, and they will assist guest artists with the planning and implementation of their performances and any event that contributes to the curricular mission of the department. The Technical Director will work directly with the Dance Events Manager and other Performing Arts Staff to ensure all details and needs of each production, performance and event are met. The Technical Director will consult/liaise with CHASS Facilities Management and UCR Facilities Services to support the management, operation and optimization of our multiple spaces. They will also work as a liaison with the production and event staff at UCR ARTS and the University Theatre on department related projects that are hosted/produced there. The Technical Director reports to the Production Director for the Performing Arts and collaborates with Faculty, Lecturers, Guest Artists, and Staff in the Dance department, Production Staff in other departments, and campus constituents to achieve departmental goals.
**As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is ten weeks after their first date of employment. **
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Masters in Fine Arts
- 6 – 10 years of related experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working with higher ed students in a performing arts environment
- 3-5 years experience working in Dance Production and Interdisciplinary performance
- Strong problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills to communicate complex instructions and information to disparate constituencies.
- Strong knowledge/skills in all aspects of financial and personnel administration.
- Mastery level knowledge in multiple technical theater production areas such as lighting, sound, video, costumes, hair/make-up, properties, scenery, scenic treatment, etc.
Strong working knowledge of University and collective bargaining policies, practices, rules, regulations, etc., including safety rules and regulations.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities’ air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside is proud to be ranked No. 12 among all U.S. universities, according to Money Magazine’s 2020 rankings, and among the top 1 percent of universities worldwide, according to the 2019-20 Center for World University rankings.
- UC Riverside is the top university in the United States for social mobility. – U.S. News 2020
- UCR is a member of the University Innovation Alliance, the leading national coalition of public research universities committed to improving student success for low-income, first-generation, and students of color.
- Among top-tier universities, UC Riverside ranks No. 2 in financial aid. – Business Insider 2019
- Ranked No. 2 in the world for research, UCR’s Department of Entomology maintains one of the largest collections of insect specimens the nation. – Center for World University Rankings
- UCR’s distinguished faculty boasts 2 Nobel Laureates, and 13 members of the National Academies of Science and Medicine.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details
View complete Job Description for this position
How to Apply
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, California, United States
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: dance, director, lighting, production, technical director, technical theatre, and university. States: California.