Theatre Huntsville is seeking applicants for the position of Technical Director. The Technical Director reports to the Executive Director, and is responsible for supervising and coordinating technical aspects of Theatre Huntsville productions, as well as maintaining the organization’s facilities and equipment.
The Technical Director is responsible for creating a fun and safe environment for volunteers, while promoting and supporting the organization’s mission, vision, branding, and core values.
- Lead and oversee the technical aspects of Theatre Huntsville productions for all phases of the production process by attending all production and design meetings, rehearsals as required, and technical rehearsals
- Guide production teams through the design process and analyze all designs submitted to determine feasibility of execution within the allotted time, money and personnel available
- Design sets, sound, or lighting in the event that there is on designer available within a certain time frame.
- Work with the Executive Director to determine season budget requirements and assist in the tracking of production and facility expenses
- Assist in recruiting, training and scheduling volunteer and/or paid technical staff, and creating schedules for all technical work required
- Ensure procurement of sufficient supplies for scene shop and facility
- Coordinate all changeover activities, including procurement and return of any transport vehicles and equipment required, and oversee the return of all materials to proper storage
- Ensure that all facilities are clean and in good repair, including routine maintenance on tools and production equipment owned by the organization, engaging outside vendors for repairs if necessary
- Orient facility renters and visiting productions to safety procedures, technical characteristics, and general use of the facilities
- Other duties as assigned to support the production process
An Ideal Candidate Will Possess:
- BA/BFA in Technical Theatre or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and experience with stage carpentry, lighting and sound equipment, stage rigging, projection, and scene shop tools. (Familiarity with 3D printing and laser cutting is a plus)
- Ability to read and create technical theatre drawings and elevations. (Experience with Vectorworks, SketchUp or other 3D modeling programs is a plus)
- Ability to climb ladders and lift up to 50 pounds
- Valid driver’s license
- Computer skills that include word processing, spreadsheets, project management and scheduling software
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to lead and manage teams
- Ability to manage time effectively, meet deadlines and work independently
- Ability to see the big picture in a growth-oriented organization to serve our community and stakeholders
- A passion for the performing arts
The primary working location for this position is the Theatre Huntsville Building, located at 500 Plummer Rd, Huntsville, AL. Additionally, the Technical Director will have responsibilities at the Studio Theatre, located inside Lowe Mill Arts & Entertainment, 2211 Seminole Dr, Huntsville, AL, as well as the Von Braun Center Playhouse, 700 Monroe Dr, Huntsville, AL. Work varies depending on specific duty, and may require occasional travel to other in-town locations. All Theatre Huntsville facilities are ADA compliant and fully accessible.
This is a full-time, exempt position of 40 hours per week, paid bi-weekly, salary minimum $40,000, increasing commensurate with experience. The position offers health insurance options, flexible hours, paid holidays, paid time off, and professional development opportunities. Evenings and weekends will be often be required to meet the needs of the organization.
Send a cover letter with resume, three references, and work samples (links to work samples are acceptable) to Leslie Gates, Executive Director at email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Deadline to apply is 7/1/22.
Theatre Huntsville requires all employees to be vaccinated against covid-19. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start date.
All applications are confidential, and applicants will be notified prior to contacting references.
Theatre Huntsville is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Huntsville and the Tennessee Valley. Theatre Huntsville’s mission is connecting you to excellent and entertaining storytelling and creative artistic opportunities. Our vision to connecting you to excellent and entertaining storytelling and creative artistic opportunities.
Theatre Huntsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, sex, age, gender identity, religion, or background. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with differing abilities to perform essential job functions.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, technical director, technical theatre, theater, and theatre. States: Alabama.
Please Share the Technical Director job: