GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
A Noise Within seeks a Technical Director to oversee the production operations for all ANW productions.
The Technical Director is responsible for supervising all aspects of production construction, supervising all construction and running crews, working with the Production Manager and Costume Shop Manager to realize ANW’s productions, coordinating basic facilities maintenance, and contributing to a safe and equitable production environment.
ANW operates with an annual budget (in normal times) of $3.6 million and produces a 7-show main stage season in addition to collaborating with partner organizations for residencies and performances (Noise Now), periodic stage readings, fundraising events, and educational programs.
As with all staff, the Technical Director will also have a role in implementing and contributing to ANW’s Strategic Plan and Anti-Racism Action Plan.
Right now: Like all theaters, covid closed ANW in March 2020. We have launched our in-person 21-22 season and patrons and artists are thrilled to be back. Our TD will be involved with a team of staff members in continuing to plan for the health and safety of our artists, crews, and audiences.
Qualities and qualifications of a successful candidate:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a technical director, stage carpenter, or member of a production department
- Broad understanding of all aspects of technical theatre
- Experience overseeing production crews and either building scenery or working with external scene shops
- Proficiency with industry software such as CAD programs and QLab
- A theatrical rigging certification or equivalent
- Experience reading ground plans, light plots, and other theatrical specifications and turning those plans into realized production elements on schedule and on budget
- Demonstrates a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives and values, and to an anti-racist work culture
- Excellent communication skills including navigating technical and non-technical artistic conversations
- The ability to prioritize multiple simultaneous projects successfully and work effectively with artists, production teams, volunteers, and staff
Working conditions and physical demands:
- Ability to lift 35 lbs
- Ability to climb ladders and work off the ground in a Genie lift or in catwalks
- Ability to see in low-light conditions (such as a dark theater)
- Availability for night and weekend hours
- Ability to drive and a valid driver’s license
- Attend and advise on elements of production meetings
- Lead and supervise build and load-in
- Coordinate notes that arise during production rehearsal/tech
- Support Production Manager in staying on schedule and on budget for production projects
- Work with directors and design teams to ensure timely completion of all designs
- Supervise production personnel including electricians, carpenters, running crews, etc.
- Oversee (with Production Manager) inventory and maintenance of all lighting, shop, costume, and sound equipment
- Support productions with research on needs including video and projections, special effects, sourcing and researching materials and techniques, etc.
- Establish and maintain a safe work environment at all times
COMPENSATION: The position is full time, exempt, salary is $60,000
- Company-paid HMO (employees may “buy up” to additional offered coverage)
- 11 paid holidays and one floating holiday
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Company-matched benefit savings plan
Start date: flexible.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put “Technical Director – Candidate Last Name” in the subject line.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please, no follow up calls. ANW believes in working hard on our anti-racist practice across the whole organization and we invite candidates to review more information here.
Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, performing arts, and technical director. States: California.
Please Share the Technical Director job: