Civic Theatre of Allentown is seeking a Technical Director. This position manages and implements all scenic aspects of production for a 6-show season, taking place in two spaces (484 seat historic proscenium theater; 85 seat black box theater).
If interested, opportunities for scenic design are available throughout the season.
- Reports to Production Manager and Artistic Director
- Collaborates and creates tech drawings, cut lists, and build schedules in line with the production scenic design
- Acts as Master Carpenter of the scene shop. Oversees upkeep of all shop and storage spaces
- Determines and manages over hire needs on a production-by-production basis
- Collaborates with Scenic Designer and Scenic Artist on paint schedule and implementation for each production
- Attends a rotating schedule of put-in and technical rehearsals
- On call during production runs to address technical issues before and during each performance
- Operate, maintain, and safeguard the technical assets of Civic Theatre of Allentown’s two theatres
- If interested, Scenic Design opportunities exist within the season and carry additional “gig” payments
- Preferred educational degree of Associates or higher with a concentration in technical theatre and/or design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to assist with other technical areas as needed
- Familiar with current drafting versions of VectorWorks and/or AutoCAD
- Familiar with counterweight fly systems and their safe usage
- Familiar with implementing and enforcing backstage safety precautions and procedures
- Confident and skilled in establishing work priorities, coordinating multiple projects simultaneously, and implementing and meeting deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to foster teamwork and cooperation
- Ability to interact cordially with volunteers, staff, and board members
- Must be a self-starter and highly motivated
- Able to effectively navigate high-stress situations
Position to begin August 1st.
Interested candidates should contact William Sanders, Artistic Director, with letter of intent, resume, and references.
Civic Theatre of Allentown is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, and LGBTQIA+ candidates.
Civic Theatre of Allentown is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with over 90 years of history in the Lehigh Valley. Started by two Morning Call reporters in 1927 as “Civic Little Theatre,” the current day Civic Theatre of Allentown relies on the creativity, passion, and inspiration of the staff members, the board, and the thousands of volunteers that are mutually invested in Civic’s growth and success.
Civic Theatre became an immediate success and in 1957 moved into its current home at the Nineteenth Street Theatre, a 1928 Art Deco movie palace in Allentown’s West End. Significant milestones in the organization’s history over the years include the establishment of its Civic Theatre School in 1953, the addition of art film screenings in 1989, and the distinction of being the first community theatre to produce Tony Kushner’s award-winning epic Angels in America in 1997.
Civic is dedicated to producing live theatre of high standards of artistic excellence, capitalizing on the physicality, presence, and immediacy of theatre as an art form and providing a creative outlet and training ground for local artists dedicated to the theatre as an avocation.
Civic is devoted to developing the artists and audiences of the future. Established more than 60 years ago, Civic Theatre School programs provide training in the theatre arts to over 300 children each year, developing self-expression, discipline, and teamwork as well as an appreciation for the art of theatre.
Finally, Civic is committed to being the premiere non-commercial film venue in the Lehigh Valley, showing the latest releases and best selection of award-winning art films, including documentaries, American independent, and international films that are an alternative to commercial film cinema, keeping in mind its diverse audience.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, management, Master carpenter, performing arts, scenic design, and technical director. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Technical Director job: