Contract Teaching Artist
The National Book Foundation (NBF) is seeking published authors who have experience working with young people to serve as Teaching Artists for BookUp NYC, a free, after-school reading program for middle school students. BookUp participants select up to 12 book to read each year, engage in book club-style discussions and creative response activities, and interact with the local literary community through author visits and field trips.
This 24-session program meets regularly once per week for 90-minute sessions, plus 2-4 weekend half-day field trips, and runs from October 2018 through June 2019 (exact schedule TBD based on Teaching Artist availability and partner site needs).
The program is held at partnering sites across the city. Teaching Artists report to NBF’s Director of Education.
• Lead twenty-four 90-minute after-school sessions for approximately 15 students in grades 6 through 8
• Serve as liaison between NBF, partnering site, and other program stakeholders
• Create and submit lesson plans
• Create and submit book order requests
• Organize and document student work
• Participate in planning meetings and bi-weekly check-in calls with NBF’s Director of Education
• Assist with the coordination of and facilitation of scheduled author visits, field trips, and culminating event
Essential Skills and Education/Experience
• Undergraduate degree in creative writing, literature, or other related field; graduate work preferred
• At least one published book
• Previous experience working with young people required; experience with middle school students strongly preferred
• Experience working in an after-school or out-of-school time setting strongly preferred
• Willingness to travel to program sites, including the outer boroughs
• A patient, flexible, and collaborative spirit
This position pays a competitive per-session rate.
How to apply:
Send cover letter and resume as PDFs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: BookUp NYC Teaching Artist.
The National Book Foundation is committed to inclusivity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, parental status, military service, or disability.
Please Share the Teaching Artist job: