Staff Technician (Production & Technical Assistant)
For four decades and counting, On the Boards (OtB) has moved the needle on culture in Seattle. We continue to occupy a unique corner of this region’s cultural turf—presenting dance, theater, and performance works that are challenging, provoking, surprising, and inspiring. We influence the contemporary art field on a global scale, investing and supporting in local artists who go on to develop careers and performances that are shared with thousands of audience members across the world.
OtB fulfills its mission by supporting artists from the Northwest and beyond, through new commissions and existing work presented online and in person. OtB offers a range of resources and events that provide in-depth information and complimentary social experiences to frame the art on its stages and create dynamic access for its audiences.
The Production and Technical Assistant works with the Production Team to support all aspects of production of the On the Boards season. As a small theater team, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in bringing new works to life.
On the Boards prioritizes a collaborative, team-oriented culture where everyone has a high level of ownership and performance in their roles, and where we care for ourselves, each other, and our community. We are a flexible workplace and place high priority on the health and well-being of our staff.
PRODUCTION ASSISTANCE & SUPPORT
- Provide production and technical support on all productions, including participating in load-in, show operation, and load out, helping with the preparation and construction of materials and sets for performances, and assisting with lighting, sound, and video
- Work with the Production Team to maintain the inventory of tools, gear and consumable technical supplies
- Help ensure safety and wellness policies are maintained and followed by artists, guests, and production team.
- Participate in team check-ins, weekly staff meetings, and planning and support for OtB events.
- Identify and participate in professional development opportunities that advance skills for the role
This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. All OtB employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
On the Boards needs a production & technical assistant who is excited to be a part of a creative community, oriented towards problem solving and communication, and brings a growth mentality to the team. We hope to find someone who is curious and can connect to people with authenticity and kindness. We expect you to share our values of collaboration, trusting each other, transparency, integrity, cross-cultural respect and sensitivity.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- 2-5 years of experience (professionally or as a volunteer) in a theater, performance space, music venue, or arts institution.
- General maintenance skills and/or basic carpentry
- Light, sound, and/or video technical skills, and/or a willingness to learn.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a 15-passenger van.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to develop trust and maintain deep relationships with a variety of diverse artists, guests, community and team members.
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving, including the ability to pivot to meet immediate needs, or address unforeseen.
- A commitment to kind communication in the face of challenge and conflict.
The strongest candidates will have:
- 4+ years of experience
- Working knowledge of QLab, sound equipment, lighting equipment, video equipment, and other theater technical equipment.
- Experience with some or all aspects of technical theater, including construction, load in/Load out, scenic painting, and wardrobe.
- Experience working or volunteering in a nonprofit organization that specializes in contemporary performance.
On The Boards is most interested in attracting a teammate who will be successful and fulfilled in this role, not just someone who can check off every box below. If you feel like this job excites and resonates with you but aren’t sure you fill all the qualifications of the role, please consider still applying. We are ready to grow with you.
HOURS, LOCATION CONDITIONS
Reports To: Technical Director
FLSA Classification: Full-Time Non-Exempt Salaried
This position is 40 hours a week onsite. Candidates must be able to commute reliably to our office in Seattle with flexibility to work evenings and/or weekends when performances run. Additionally, we offer:
- Paid time off, including 12 holidays, vacation, personal and sick leave.
- 100% Employer paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability (prorated for part time employees)
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Professional Development Stipend
- Complementary performance tickets
COVID: You must be vaccinated to the level recommended by the CDC to provide immunity. You may request a medical or religious exemption from vaccine requirements.
- Ability to safely lift 50 pounds and move furnishing required for set up of events.
- Ability to safely lift 35 pounds above head and hold light fixtures, speakers, and cables.
- Ability to work safely around power tools, on ladders and lifts, and around electricity.
- Ability to work in an environment that gets dirty or dusty and being around paint fumes.
- Ability to kneel, crouch, reach, and exert muscles.
- Ability to navigate through our building, including accessing multiple stairways, climbing ladders, roof access, and other difficult / atypical areas.
- Comfortable working at heights of up to 25 ft
OTB will be actively reviewing applications on Sept 16, 23, 30th and Oct 7, with an intention to urgently fill this role
On The Boards is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our staff, students, and governing institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply. On the Boards will engage in the interactive process to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
APPLY HERE: wkf.ms/3DhRYNe
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, production, technical theatre, and theatre. States: Washington.
Please Share the Staff Technician (Production & Technical Assistant) job: