Special Events Operations Manager
• Job Title: Special Events Operations Manager
• Department: Development
• Reports To: Associate Director of Special Events
• Classification: Full-time, Non-exempt
• Posting Date: June 2021
The Special Events Operations Manager will support all aspects of HGO’s Special Events department related to major fundraising, donor cultivation, and stewardship events. Primary duties include general event planning supporting the Director of Special Events and the Associate Director of Special Events (ADSE), tracking Special Events reservations, donations, and expenses, internal logistics and processes, and special project management. Ensuring efficient and effective operations, the Manager will also act as primary operations contact for internal departments within HGO, Houston First, and The Wortham Theater Center.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Event Planning and Execution Support
- Support all aspects of HGO’s annual major fundraising events including, but not limited to, Opening Night Dinner, Concert of Arias, and Opera Ball.
- Support all aspects of HGO’s major donor benefit, cultivation, and stewardship events managed within the Special Events department.
- Submit event information to HGO’s Company Office and master calendar via ArtsVision.
- Track event RSVPs across the Special Events department and maintain up-to-date guest lists.
- Responsible for obtaining and posting any permits needed for events.
- Support the ADSE in the execution of Special Events mailings and day-of event logistics.
- Provide support for Special Event chairmen, the Special Events Committee, and internal clients.
Fundraising and Budget Support
- Maintain event databases including event registrations and donations (data entry in Excel and/or Tessitura).
- Liaise with the Advancement Services team to reconcile pledges, payments, and gifts for all events.
- Tracking of Special Events accounts payable and receivable invoice processing and reconciliation.
- Support the Associate Director of Special Events (ADSE) with management of HGO’s Opera Ball auction as follows:
- Work with the ADSE to coordinate any auction solicitation mailings;
- Work with development officers and auction chair(s) to coordinate and solicit auction donations;
- Maintain database of all auction items with accurate descriptions and photos of items;
- Prepare timely acknowledgement letters for all auction donations;
- Coordinate all printed auction materials including signage, certificates, and preview catalogues;
- Work with third-party auction vendor in successful planning and execution of the event check-in, bidder registration, mobile bidding, and auction check-out;
- Coordinate prompt notification to winning bidders and arrange for any outstanding payments and pickup/delivery of items following the auction.
- Coordinate any auction volunteer support
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
A college degree or equivalent experience with 3+ years of previous experience in organizing and coordinating events, fundraising auctions, or high-level project administration required. Must have excellent computer skills: Microsoft Office (heavy in Excel). Proficiency with Tessitura and Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and date merge) is a plus. Excellent written and verbal skills. This position requires oversight of detailed record keeping and maintaining meticulous files. Must have previous experience in fast-paced, demanding environment where accuracy, attention to detail, and responsiveness to chairpersons, committee members, donors, and colleagues was achieved. Scheduled irregular working hours
including some evenings and weekend work is required.
This position requires attendance at multiple events throughout the year including many evenings. This position requires lifting boxes up to 30 lbs. chest high and standing during events for long periods of time. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at www.houstongrandopera.org/employment-and-auditions/
RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability, or marital status.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, events, fund-raising, manager, and opera. States: Texas.
Please Share the Special Events Operations Manager job: