Special Events Coordinator / Development Assistant
Musical Theatre West is an arts leader in one of the most culturally rich and diverse areas in the United States. Our community has launched us into a leading professional, award-winning regional theatre with national recognition. For almost 70 years we have been a champion of introducing broader audiences to Broadway caliber musical theatre in Southern California. Our mission is to enrich the community with Broadway-quality productions, preserve musical theatre as a unique American art form and expose people of all backgrounds to the excitement of musical theatre.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Donor Relations & Special Events Coordinator will assist in cultivating, stewarding and expanding the relationships between the organization and patrons through events planned throughout the calendar by providing accurate, extraordinary service to donors and exceeding expectations in maintaining and managing donor information. This is a primarily administrative role responsible for assisting in the execution of major fundraising events/campaigns and an annual theatre tour, as well as day to day office duties.
Primary Areas of Responsibility Include:
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor contact and biographical information.
- Review and record corporate, direct mail, tele-funding, individual and event gifts and pledges, employer matching contributions and fundraising donations.
- Acknowledge all donations and pledges by written correspondence or other means in a timely manner.
- Provide excellent stewardship to donors who request information including recent and past donations and other donor records.
- Fulfill data and reporting requests, including the production of donor lists and special events.
- Assist in donor gift reconciliation with the bookkeeper for accurate QuickBooks reports
- Prepare and organize annual year end appeal, including creating all graphics and related materials as well as maintaining accurate updated mailing list.
- Assist in coordinating annual theatre tour of NYC, including generating correspondence, tracking payments, providing customer care to travelers and organizing all relevant information relating to air, hotel, buses, tours, and shows
- Assist in execution of fundraising galas, including sending invitations, soliciting and tracking auction items, selling tickets, providing all necessary correspondence with guests and working at the event itself
- Oversee execution of multiple mass mailings, including fundraising campaigns, from solicitation through acknowledgment, including tracking response data and providing tax info to donors
- Be the staff liaison to the Board Coordinator/Chairperson for each fundraising event
- Secure all necessary permits for each event from the city, ABC and State Attorney General’s Registry of Charitable Trust (for raffles)
- Assist in provision of collateral materials related to productions, including printing programs and generating feedback surveys
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator to develop and implement a vision for sales and marketing special events and fundraisers, with an eye towards increasing sales and community awareness, including generating reports and analysis to assist in developing that vision.
- Type correspondence and other communications for Executive Director
- Assemble monthly Board packet
- Assist with events hosted by organization outside normal business hours
- Staff hospitality table during run of shows
- Additional duties as assigned
- Must be exceptionally well-organized with superb time management
- Must be proficient in Microsoft and Google Office Suites
- Ability to successfully navigate a range of personalities and provide positive interpersonal experiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with strong presentation skills. Able to communicate effectively in person, on the phone and by email
- Must be able to generate, organize, and provide analog versions of information in addition to using relevant software and online databases
- Must be able to prioritize and complete tasks in an environment with multiple projects in progress and frequently changing needs
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends for fundraising/awareness events
- A willingness to embrace and further MTW’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Experience working with the public and representing organizations, nonprofit or for profit
- Experience with travel planning and/or special events
- Experience with graphic design
- The ability to maintain diplomacy, and professionalism, discretion and/or confidentiality when handling sensitive information and model positive communications and behavior with staff and board members from diverse backgrounds
- Comfort with creating, maintaining and navigating databases with a close attention to detail
- Willingness to jump in wherever needed
- At least 5 years of high level administrative or executive assistant experience strongly preferred
- Experience with an arts organization strongly preferred
- Knowledge of musical theatre helpful
Benchmarks for Success:
- Musical Theatre West is recognized as not only a great place to see a show, but a great place to sponsor underwriting for that show.
- Increased donors and per donor income for the organization.
- Information culled from special events is used to successfully assist in guiding the marketing and artistic vision of the company.
Special Environmental Factors
Fast paced, open office environment, frequent interruptions, background noise.
Hourly – $24 / Hour
Flexible 25+ hour work week (including some evenings and weekends)
Please send a cover a letter and resumes to:
Douglas Senecal, General Manager
MUSICAL THEATRE WEST
4350 E. 7th Street
Long Beach, CA 90804
Musical Theatre West pursues potential staff candidates who represent various race, ethnicity, socioeconomic backgrounds, gender identity, age, physical ability, LGBTQIA+, and diverse viewpoints, who also have an interest, background, and skillset in musical theatre. We will recognize the importance of equity for job candidates in terms of training and experience.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, coordinator, development, performing arts, and special events. States: California.
Please Share the Special Events Coordinator / Development Assistant job: