Full-Time Site Manager II
FT-Seasonal (March-November), $35,000-$37,500 starting with full-time benefits
Located 45 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul in the scenic St. Croix River Valley, Franconia Sculpture Park is a nonprofit arts organization operating a 43-acre sculpture park, renowned artist residency program, and expansive educational initiatives. Franconia welcomes over 150,000 visitors each year and provides an intriguing and exciting place to explore the intersection of art and nature in an outdoor museum celebrating sculpture, land art, and interdisciplinary work.
Site Manager II
Franconia Sculpture Park is looking for a dynamic individual responsible for the overall safety, appearance, and utilization of the grounds, buildings, equipment and artwork. The Site Manager II provides artwork production support to our artist residency program, visiting artists, and exhibition program.
This position requires a positive attitude and passion for Franconia’s work and mission. S/he/they should possess the energy and flexibility to work in a non-traditional environment, prioritize tasks effectively, and execute projects to the highest possible level. This individual should exhibit a willing attention to detail with the ability to take initiative as well as direction, strong communication and interpersonal skills, good judgment, and self-awareness. A team player and a good sense of humor is necessary.
The Site Manager II will share responsibilities with a co-Site Manager; both report to the Residency Director and Executive Director.
There is an option for on-site room and board at Franconia for this position upon request.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Artist Assistance, Artwork Fabrication, Installation and De-Installation
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Residency Director, consult with artists regarding their artwork production, including material selection, fabrication techniques, and general process guidance/oversight
- Train and assist artists in the safe and effective operation of equipment, tools, and materials for the development and completion of their artwork
- Collaborate with artists and Executive Director on appropriate placement and installation of artworks to align with overall park vision
- Ensure the safest possible work environment for all staff, artists and visitors, especially in and around fabrication areas and active work sites
- Coordinate the selection and procurement of artistic materials and supplies as necessary for the development and completion of artwork, working with the Residency Director to ensure fiscal appropriateness
- Work with Residency Director to maintain a log of all artwork on display, as well as authorizations and contracts for installation and de-installation
- Miscellaneous tasks as assigned
Building, Grounds, and Sculpture Maintenance
- Directly manage Grounds Technician on seasonal grounds maintenance, including lawn mowing, weed removal, and snow plowing.
- Daily collection and appropriate dispersal of all trash and recycling
- Management of leftover materials from sculptures for future use or recycling
- Maintenance and repair of park buildings, grounds, and artworks
- In collaboration with Executive Director, develop budgets and priorities for repair and improvement of park buildings and equipment
- Maintain and repair park vehicles and equipment as appropriate
- Work to prevent injuries to artists, staff and visitors on Franconia grounds and advise leadership on opportunities to reduce risk of physical injuries
- Other duties as assigned
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear so as to communicate effectively. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, use hands, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must also frequently lift and/or move objects up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 or more pounds. Must be able to type, file, handle documents, and read/evaluate data.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts or related field; Master’s preferred
- Experience and ability in using a variety of light and heavy equipment and machinery including, but not limited to: boom truck, hoists, rigging, fork lift, arc welder, handheld tools, etc.
- Experience in fabricating artwork of various media; background working as professional artist or artist assistant a plus
- Experience with all Microsoft Office Programs
- Mature interpersonal skills and ability to live and work within a close-knit community
- Exceptional communication skills in writing and speaking
- Ability to manage and establish clear priorities for multiple projects under deadline pressure
- Ability to manage and delegate tasks among various skill sets
Position open until filled. To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and ability to meet qualifications, resume and references to:
Subject line: Site Manager II
Please do not contact Franconia regarding the status of your application. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted at that time.
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: culture, manager, and sculpture. States: Minnesota.
Please Share the Site Manager II job: