Seeking Exceptional Visual Arts Teacher
WE.APP WAAAY VISUAL ART TEACHING ARTIST (PART-TIME, CONTRACT POSITION)
The Visual Arts Teaching Artist is responsible for leading and planning virtual classes for middle and high school scholars. Guiding scholars through virtual public transportation outings and exploring the arts around Seattle. The Teaching Artist uses their visual art skills and experience to help scholars document their journey through this program as a teacher, artist, and video collaborator. Visual Arts Teaching Artists teach scholars visual art techniques for creating their own art and collaborating to create bus murals and short videos.
We.APP (We Act. Present Perform.) Speak With Purpose (SWP) program is the only public speaking class offered as an elective or Language Arts course during the school day. We.APP exists to cultivate spaces that allow young scholars who are furthest away from educational justice to speak with purpose and truth. Our vision is to bridge the engagement and opportunity gap by reaching every child that is silenced in the back of the classroom and inspire them to break their silence and step forward to become the leaders in the front.
WE.APP WAAAY OVERVIEW:
- 6 month program, June 2021 – December 2021
- Wednesday’s, 4:00pm – 5:30pm (remote sessions until further notice)
- 30 students (middle and high school students)
- Co-teaching position (1 visual artist teacher, 1 We.APP teaching guide)
Starting June 2021- December 2021, in partnership with Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) and the King County Metro (KCM), We.APP middle school and high school scholars attending partner schools in South Seattle will create a mini-documentary. The youth-led documentary will explore their virtual experience of learning to use online maps, transit, and wayfinding to explore the arts in their communities. Students will use virtual mapping software to navigate throughout Seattle to various locations famous to the arts, where they will observe virtual or in-person performances and hear mural artists speak about focusing on the theme of wayfinding navigation through one’s life.
Apply if: You are a visual artist with classroom/after-school (remote and in-person) teaching experience. Background in teaching graphic design software to middle and high school students a plus. You are familiar with the Seattle landscape and capable of guiding scholars through a virtual public transportation experience to discover and discuss art history and artwork throughout Seattle. You are a creative being seeking to change the lives of young scholars by using your teaching and arts experience to challenge them to be their best selves in and out of the classroom.
The Visual Art Teaching Guide must be someone who is outgoing, personable and compassionate and teaches through an equity lens. Must be experienced working with scholars of color and abilities to gain respect in a class while operating from a nurturing and creative place.
- Exceptional, energetic and outgoing educator who is creative, approachable and dedicated to the arts, social justice and pushing ALL students to their full potential
- Co-teach from June 2021-December 2021 and develop and deliver We.APP’s project-based learning curriculum that compliments core subject areas and fits the needs of the scholars
- Deliver lesson plans and class instruction virtually via Microsoft TEAMS and update school virtual platforms in accordance with school district guidelines and agreements with co-teachers
- Experienced in creating lesson plans, implementing curriculum, meeting deadlines
- Experience in developing culminating projects such as art presentations, murals, performance pieces, and/or video
- Plan and establish a safe and stimulating learning environment for all participants to simply BE and THRIVE
- Participate in pre and post-planning meetings with co-teacher
- Adhere to We.APP guidelines & policies and to those of the school, reporting any incidents or problems as outlined by We.APP and partnering schools
- Meet weekly with co-teacher to review previous lessons and prepare for upcoming week
- Teaching: 90 minutes per week (1 day per week on Wednesdays. Will be co-teaching with experienced We.APP Teaching Guide)
- Teaching Prep & Reflection: 1 hour per week (Revising lessons as needed, meet with co-teaching guide to make sure we are ready for the week)
- Outing Planning: 6 hours total (In advance, map out and ride the public transportation route and record it for the students)
- Editing Video: 12 hours total (Per class, take the compiled footage and create a condensed video to share with scholars)
- Social Media: 30 minutes per week (Demonstrate social media posting practices to scholars and assist with uploading footage to social media)
TEACHING GUIDE EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Must have at least one year of teaching experience in public schools or after-school program
- Able to teach and oversee remote and in-person visual art and transportation classes that are engaging, innovative, and instructive for middle and high school students
- Ensure that We.APP guidelines and values are embedded in all programming
- Highly skilled in the areas of visual art and graphic design or video production and transportation wayfinding (desired)
- Cultural competency and experience working effectively in diverse communities
- Work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to work independently, be flexible, and manage multiple priorities
- Proficient computer skills, especially using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite of applications
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and writing skills
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in public speaking, performing arts, creative writing and youth arts education.
- Strong commitment to social change through youth public speaking and the arts. Personal values must align with the vision and values of We.APP.
- Reliable transportation, wifi and computer.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Must be able to lift 30 pounds. Must be flexible to work in a fast-paced, non-profit environment. Presently, this position works primarily remotely (subject to change). Must be willing to use personal equipment such as cell phone and laptop/tablet when working remotely. Must be willing to undergo Seattle Public Schools (SPS) clearances/ background checks for partnering schools.
SALARY & SCHEDULE:
- Commensurate with experience. Contract part-time position
- The position is expected to work 4 – 10 hours weekly. Candidates must be open to working a flexible schedule.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to Christine Crites at email@example.com.
Deadline to apply is Friday, May 21, 2021.
We.APP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We.APP is committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Temporary. Job Tags: arts, arts education, teacher, and teaching. States: Washington.
Please Share the Seeking Exceptional Visual Arts Teacher job: