The MFAH is currently seeking dependable security professionals with visitor service skills and a strong sense of integrity.
The Museum Security Officer plays the critical role of maintaining order, reducing injury, and reducing property loss at the Museum.
In addition, the Museum Security Officer provides routine protection of galleries and visitors by making continuous rounds throughout the Museum and assisting and informing visitors.
Serves as an initial security and safety responder for events and escalates and/or reports as appropriate.
Performs the important function of responding politely and in a courteous, professional manner to visitors and staff, answering questions or directing visitors to someone who can answer.
- Responsible for museum opening and closing duties, which include conducting inventory counts and observations to confirm the presence and condition of works of art on display
- Ensure all visitors (including a high volume of school tours) maintain proper distance from objects, and assure smooth traffic flow throughout galleries
- Protect works of art from theft, vandalism, or inadvertent damage during gallery patrols
- Perform regular art count and verifies art movement within the galleries
- Interact with visitors to give directions, information, and provide general assistance
- Enforce all museum and security department policies and procedures
- Complete written reports of accidents and incidents
- Work with mechanical and electronic security devices for securing museum properties
- Provide for the personal safety of staff and visitors
- May performs bag inspections as required to ensure bags and parcels do not contain any objects potentially hazardous to visitors or Museum
- Provide security for all museum properties and facilities
- May be responsible for checking security equipment
- Check for water leaks and problems with access points (doors or windows)
- Report security, safety, or environmental hazards to appropriate authorities
- Participate in training sessions in such areas as safety, first aid, CPR, fire and disaster procedures, and security equipment
- May serve as a member of the museum emergency response team
- May assist in medical emergencies involving visitors or staff, including but not limited to summoning medical assistance or administering first aid (if certified/qualified)
- If assigned, observe contractors who are performing work within the museum, ensuring contractors are operating within the appropriate safety and security guidelines for Museum Operations
- Perform other duties as assigned by Security Management
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must have high level of integrity; must be tactful, polite, and courteous in dealing with visitors, staff, vendors, consultants, and others
- Excellent verbal skills, particularly for communicating with visitors and communicating on the radio
- Comfortable maintaining a professional appearance. Must be presentable at all times through proper grooming and personal hygiene
- Must be alert and have good concentration skills
- Excellent record of attendance and promptness
- Able to work overtime hours as required
- Ability to work varied shifts (flexible schedule) as assigned with regularly assigned days off
- Willingness to work weekends, special events, and holidays as needed
- Excellent written communication skills (report writing)
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, walk, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 lbs.; (must be able to lift a fire extinguisher or small child)
- Must be observant in order to detect and report unusual behavior or circumstances
- Must be alert and able to respond quickly in an emergency
- Must have reliable transportation for regular shift as well as late nights if needed
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous experience in security is helpful, but not required
- Previous customer service experience highly desired
- Security Officers must pass a national criminal background check in order to maintain non-commission status through the Texas Commission on Private Security
- All applicants are required to have a valid state issued ID or driver license in order to complete the application process
- Must be in good general health
- Duties require standing at posts for long periods of time and/or walking distances and climbing stairs throughout the work shift
- Other duties may require lifting heavy objects (fire extinguisher or a small child); opening heavy doors and hatches; climbing stairs, ladders, and in the event of an emergency, may have to run or make quick physical response
- Must have good eyesight (adjusted) and hearing (adjusted)
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.
How to Apply
MFAH recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to our organization. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. MFAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication and museum. States: Texas.
Please Share the Security Officers job: