Full-Time Rhoden Arts Center Theater Manager
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA) is seeking a full time Theater Manager.
Reporting to the Vice President of Visitor Experience and Events Management, the Rhoden Arts Center Theater Manager will be a member of the PAFA Events Management team. He/she will be the primary point of contact for all Arts Center activities with a primary focus on event planning, execution and management of events in the Auditorium.
PAFA’s new Arts Center is a 15,000 square foot multidisciplinary facility located on the lower level of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building. The Arts Center comprises a 265-seat auditorium, a new gallery for student art, and collection storage vaults for 19th- and 20th-century works of art. The state-of-the-art Auditorium is equipped with professional-grade technology for lighting, sound, and projection, and can accommodate music and dance performances, lectures, film screenings, and other events.
In the first year, the primary objectives for this position will center on collaborative calendar scheduling, planning and event execution for internal events and external rentals, managing the space and staff, as well as working with the Events Management team to develop policies and strategies for building up the Rhoden Arts Center’s success.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Theater manager will fulfill traditional house manager and stage manager duties. The manager is responsible for ensuring that the audience has a safe, relaxed and pleasant experience in the venue.
- The individual must coordinate all aspects of the theater such as box office manager, stagehands, audio/visual support teams, security, and ushers.
- Prepare the space with an eye for detail: consideration for guest experience and perception of all spaces outside the venue, in the lobby, and into the theater. Theater manager should conduct a “walk through” of the theater to verify that the house is clean and presentable for the audience. Signs and notices relevant to the show should be in place in a professional manner.
- Manage the ushers who will take tickets and lead patrons to their seats. In an emergency the ushers will be trained in how to calmly help the audience to safety. The theater manager schedules, trains, and supervises these ushers and will be familiar with the core values of service of the PAFA Events Department. The theater manager will work to develop policies and practices that elevate the audience experience. The theater manager will manage staff in a respectful and empowering way, and guide the team to be a cohesive and professional presence.
- Manage Safety: Safety is of utmost concern. House manager works with clients to ensure that box office management is observing capacity limits and fire laws. And the manager will work closely with the Director of Facilities Management and the Vice President of Visitor Experience and Events Management on matters of safety for the guests and space.
- Collaborate with other teams. The manager will represent the Events Management team but will work with the Academy and Museum teams to collaborate on space usage in the Arts Center. The lobby of the theater is a dedicated Student Art Gallery and will undergo periods of de-installation and installation. The Museum staff also have prep space and storage areas adjacent to the theater and scheduling for loading dock and freight elevator usages may arise as an area for collaboration and communication.
- Catering services and Audio visual services provided by exclusive and preferred partners will work closely with the theater manager to execute events in a safe way that meets the clients’ expectations.
- Support to the Events Management team may involve other duties as assigned. Tasks such as setting up small catering orders for Board Meetings may be requested depending on scheduling needs.
- Keen eye for detail demonstrated through a respect for the space and customer experience
- Organized with a system for executing each event and keeping detailed notes of issues that arise.
- A creative thinker and self-started that will contribute ideas to improve the way the Arts Center is used.
- Professional in appearance, communication, and treatment of staff, colleagues, and clients. Able to lead and make decisions in a calm but assured way. Able to turn potentially negative experiences into positive ones.
- Has an understanding of production in a theater space (lights, sound, props, performer needs, rehearsals, front of house and back of house protocol)
- A person that is able to learn complex audio/visual systems and willing to troubleshoot any problems that need to be fixed immediately.
- Team player that will work with the Events Team on execution of events.
- Mission-conscious of the PAFA mission to reach broader audiences with the new Rhoden Arts Center
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with Special Events or Theater
- Demonstrated experience of space management
- Demonstrated experience of staff leadership
- Demonstrated experience with staff management and team building
- Demonstrated ability to learn new systems
- Demonstrated history of creating protocols and implementing them
- Preferred background in one or more of the following areas: business, special events production, or public relations.
- Excellent professional verbal and written communication is a must to convey the elevated brand of PAFA Special Events.
- Professional appearance at all times and especially when interacting with clients
- Organized and sensitive with personal information of clients.
- Excellent time management
- Excellent project management
- Ability to think and work independently
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
- Excellent customer service and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work flexible hours and days including events and tours.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Click on the link below in the job posting (or copy/paste to your browser) to begin the online application process.
A complete application will include:
- Cover letter with salary requirements
- Resume or CV
- List of professional references (3 minimum)
Applicants missing the requested information will not be considered.
When submitting your application online, please save your documents as Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) or PDF (.pdf) files.
To help us process your applications as efficiently as possible, please save your files with the following filename formats.
- Cover Letter: LastName-FirstName-CoverLetter
- Resume/CV: LastName-FirstName-Resume-CV
- Additional Supporting Documents: LastName-FirstName-DocumentName
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages the recruitment and retention of qualified candidates for all positions. PAFA encourages members of all diverse groups to seek employment with us.Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: academy, arts center, manager, and theatre. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Rhoden Arts Center Theater Manager job: