Contract Resident Advisor
The Resident Advisor assists in the management of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre School’s student residence, Byham House. The RA helps oversee residents ranging in age from 14-18, pursuing ballet full-time. This position works closely with the House Director to create and maintain a hospitable and safe community and living-learning environment. This is a Live-In position for the duration of employment.
Hours (subject to change):
Monday – Day Off
Tuesday/Thursday – 5:30pm to 10:30pm
Wednesday/Friday – 9am to 2:30pm
On-call from 2:30pm to 5:30pm
Sunday – 5:30pm to 10:30pm
On-call every other weekend (Friday 5:30pm through Sunday 5:30pm)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to all dorm move in/move out tasks and orientations.
- Assist House Director with wellness reports, house programming and other duties as assigned.
- Complete all paperwork, posting bulletin boards and activity sign ups in a timely manner.
- Remain accessible during On-call shifts, by phone and by adhering to travel boundaries.
Engagement with Residents
- Commit to resident success both as growing individuals and as students.
- Encourage resident’s development of interpersonal skills and individual responsibility.
- Be accessible for resident concerns and practice active listening.
- Create intentional programming to develop house community.
- Develop partnerships with community organizations.
- Organize volunteering opportunities for residents to obtain 80 hours of service.
- Educate and debrief students on importance of community engagement.
- Provide transportation for students to community engagement opportunities as needed.
Facilities/House Safety Management
- Assist House Director in managing general maintenance of the residence facilities.
- Keep up to date records of maintenance concerns and repairs.
- Ensure that house property is being used appropriately.
- Participate in safety guidelines and company and federal policy enforcement.
- Understand and uphold Byham House rules, regulations and policies.
- Maintain consistency and fairness when addressing disciplinary concerns residents.
- Document resident concerns and report directly to the House Director.
- Help develop an atmosphere of respect and concern for others.
- Mediate conflict among residents as they arise.
- Teach and empower residents in peer to peer conflict resolution.
*Other Duties May Be Determined Based Upon Applicants Skill-Set and Interests*
Experience and Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Previous work with youth and/or residential settings
- Ability to effectively and respectfully interact within a diverse and inclusive environment
- Have the capacity to mediate conflict
- De-escalate crisis situations through calm and efficient response
- Practice professional and appropriate boundaries with minors in the residence hall
- Course work in student affairs or a field closely associated preferred
- Valid Driver’s license – preference given to those with clean driving record
- Ability to lift up to 20lbs and navigate stairs, industrial kitchen and minor maintenance needs
- Operation requirements include ability to drive an automobile, standing and sitting for long durations
*Finalists will be subject to a background check and drug test.*
- Annual Stipend of $15,000, paid bi-weekly over the course of 12 months
- Free Housing and Utilities (valued at $12,000)
- Health and Retirement Benefits Package
- Time Off during School Breaks and other times coordinated and approved by House Director
This position offers the flexibility for additional part-time employment or academic coursework while employed at PBT.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: ballet, school, and theatre. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Resident Advisor job: