Boston Symphony Orchestra→ Boston, Massachusetts, United States
About the BSO
Founded in 1881, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is one of the premier orchestras in the world. The BSO is committed to bringing world class music and performances to the local and international communities. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes.
About the Role
The BSO has an exciting opportunity available for a Publicist to join our Press and Public Relations team. You will report to the Interim Senior Director of Public Relations and Communications and work alongside a Senior Publicist.
You will create and maintain strong relationships with press in the arts and culture, lifestyle, and travel sectors, pitching features, reviews, and interviews to media across all channels, while helping to further the organization’s equity, diversity, and inclusion and community engagement initiatives.
In addition to developing, writing, and editing press materials, your responsibilities will include managing the team’s digital media assets and press contact lists and collaborating closely with the marketing team on social media and branding efforts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with print, television, and online press. Work closely with guest performers, orchestra, and staff to develop story angles to pitch to journalists at local and national media outlets. Assist, as needed, to follow up on stories in progress and correspond directly with journalists and artistic management to provide information and schedule interviews. Respond to general and press requests for information for all activities.
- Develop key relationships with travel and visitor bureaus in Boston, the Berkshires, and tour cities to take full advantage of promotional opportunities and travel press visits in association with coverage of BSO, Pops, and Tanglewood activities. Expand on the office’s travel press list and outreach, creating short and long-term plans to expand BSO coverage in travel outlets.
- Research, write, and edit press materials and fact sheets.
- Create formatted press release emails and online press kits.
- Manage and schedule photographers and videographers for in-house and press needs; edit and catalog images; share digital media assets to press outlets; maintain photo libraries.
- Work closely with marketing colleagues to generate new ideas for social media.
- Regularly update and expand media contacts database with special emphasis on music, arts, and travel media outlets.
- Accompany journalists, photographers, and video crews for coverage of BSO and Pops events and performances.
- Excellent writing and editorial skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service mindset.
- Discretion maintaining the integrity of confidential material.
- Capacity to be productive when working independently or collaboratively.
- Self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Adept with technology and Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge or background in music a plus but not required.
Bachelor’s degree, preferred, or at least 4 years equivalent professional experience in journalism or public relations.
- During the BSO and Pops seasons (Sept. through mid-to-late June), a hybrid work is possible so long as you are based in the Boston area and can attend in-person team meetings, performances, and events at Symphony Hall, as needed, including for some evening and weekend coverage.
- During the summer (mid-to-late June to Labor Day), this position requires relocation (with a per diem toward housing costs) to Tanglewood in the Berkshires for in-person work. Weekend and evening work is required during Tanglewood season.
Candidates must reside in MA or NH
Please include resume and cover letter. Apply here: bso.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/BSO/job/Boston/Publicist…↗↗
The BSO is an equal opportunity employer deeply committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI). As such, the BSO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, as well as our own institutional EDI values.
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: media, music, Orchestra, and public relations. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Publicist job: