Full-Time Props, Scenery & Design Manager
Assists Prop & Scenery Designer in the following:
- Supervises staff.
- Research builds- materials, artisans, and equipment.
- Manages timelines and calendars.
- Manages inventories documentation and organization.
- Reconciles and reports purchasing.
- Manages shipping schedule and means of shipping between cities.
In 2018, the Seattle-based headquarters of Teatro ZinZanni moved the Spiegeltent and all of its operations to a wooded former brewery site in Woodinville, Washington, a community just outside Seattle in the area’s “tech corridor” with more than 100 wineries in the neighborhood.
In addition to the Teatro ZinZanni show running year round, TZ Woodinville will open and operate an onsite restaurant, a special events program, and a training studio on the beautiful campus in 2019 and 2020. Teatro ZinZanni also develops all original shows, costumes and props at the site.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Creates schedule, contracts and timesheets for all over hire staff. Processes all paperwork associated with staff.
- Supervises over hire staff. Creates timelines and task lists for over hire staff in order to accomplish artistic goals and deadlines set forth by the Designer.
- Supervises full time staff when they are scheduled as props and scenic artisans. Creates timelines and task lists for full time staff to accomplish artistic goals and deadlines set forth by the Designer.
- Supervises Back Stage Manager’s inventories and pack list documentation. Facilitates standardization of formats and archives.
- Reconciles monthly Back Stage Manager credit card reports for Designer sign off.
- Supervises runner schedule and purchases. Reconciles all receipts and prepares all associated paperwork for Designer sign off.
- Represents Designer when in absence.
- Assists Designer in development and execution of new projects.
- Maintains and updates departmental calendar inclusive of meetings, key show dates, shipping schedule, show build schedules, new site build schedule and relevant elements of the Master Production Schedule.
- Responsible for staying within budget on all areas of supervision, including over hire staffing and materials purchasing.
- Creates and maintains Prop & Scenery catalog.
- Coordinates acquisition and creates elements of all materials for Prop & Scenery “Show Bibles”. Information to be provided by Designer, Production Stage Manager, Technical Director, Backstage Managers and Site Manger.
- Creates and maintains artisan contact recourse book. Develops theatre and artisan resources in both the Seattle and Bay areas.
- Creates new and “as built” drawings as requested by Designer.
- Develops and maintains a safe, organized and efficient workplace. Maintains suitable inventory of materials, supplies and tools.
- Research materials, vendors, equipment purchase or rental and bids for all prop & scenery builds as requested by Designer.
- Interface with Production Stage Manager, Technical Director and Site Manager as needed.
- Attend Production Meetings for Seattle show and Seattle site.
- Personally executes hands on builds & maintenance
- Ability to work well under pressure and able to meet deadlines while maintaining a high degree of accuracy. Specifically in budget tracking, accounting & payroll.
- Ability to communicate well with all types of staffs utilizing direct conversation and all manner of office communication equipment. Maintains appropriate response time, follows through with issues and utilizes appropriate means for clear and efficient communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Sets a standard for staff and maintains a mode of operation that is efficient, precise and cost effective. Understands the value of and promotes an environment that is safe, creative and fun.
- Has a personal investment in projects and is willing to perform new tasks and explore new ideas.
- Maintains curiosity for personal and professional development.
Essential minimum skills, education, and experience:
- 3 years (minimum) professional theatre experience.
- Works well collaborating with others. Ability to work as a team member.
- Knowledge of scenic arts practices and fabrication techniques.
- Experience in technical production & design.
- Excellent eye for detail.
- Strong computer drafting and drawing skills, able to work with facility in Vectorworks, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Ability to articulate problems/design challenges and offers solutions.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to create timelines.
- Experience leading staff and negotiating contracts.
- Ability to interact with the public with strong public service skills.
- Good analytical abilities and facility with planning.
- Must be detail oriented and have creative problem solving skills.
- Budgeting experience
- Experience with Excel
Works in an office and shop environment. This position deals directly with the cast, band and restaurant staff as well as the creative, technical and production staff. Primary schedule is Tuesday through Saturday, 9am – 5pm, or as needed. Work schedule during show change will require extra hours during the evenings and weekends to accommodate rehearsals and shop hours. Generally, changeover runs two weeks prior and one week following opening, with four openings per year.
Travel, when required.
How to Apply
Apply online: https://zinzanni.com/jobs/
TZ WOODINVILLE LLC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER DEDICATED TO A POLICY OF NON-DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT (INCLUDING APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT) ON ANY BASIS INCLUDING RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, CITIZENSHIP, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, MEDICAL CONDITION, PREGNANCY, VETERAN OR MILITARY STATUS, OR ANY OTHER BASIS PROHIBITED BY LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAW.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES MAY BE ENTITLED TO REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UNDER THE TERMS OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT AND CERTAIN STATE OR LOCAL LAWS. A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION IS A CHANGE IN THE WAY THINGS ARE NORMALLY DONE WHICH WILL ENSURE AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY WITHOUT IMPOSING UNDUE HARDSHIP ON TZ WOODINVILLE LLC. PLEASE CONTACT TZ WOODINVILLE LLC IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION OR TO OTHERWISE PARTICIPATE IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS.Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: design, manager, and theatre. States: Washington.
Please Share the Props, Scenery & Design Manager job: