Full-Time Program Director
Program Director Job Description
Rehabilitation Through The Arts (RTA) is a world leader in arts-in-corrections. Our small but well-established non-profit in Westchester County directly serves 200 incarcerated people in 5 NYS prisons in the Hudson Valley. RTA’s mission is to teach prisoners critical life skills through workshops and productions in theatre, dance, music, visual art and creative writing, and to raise awareness of the humanity of people in prison.
RTA seeks an experienced, innovative Program Director to head the program team of our growing organization, responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and evaluation of RTA’s programs, consistent with RTA and NYS Department of Corrections guidelines.
Position: Program Director
Reporting to: Executive Director
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyze trends in the program, identifying issues and developing and recommending solutions to the executive director
- Manage special projects as needed, i.e., prisoner art show in venue outside of prison
- Oversee program staff and teaching artists/facilitators:
- Direct, plan and coordinate program staff (currently 2) and teaching artists (currently 20) including recruiting, processing, training, supervising and evaluating
- Lead weekly meetings to review facilities and other issues
- Manage facilitator communication and reporting software
- Manage monthly facilitator newsletter
- Review facilitator reports
- Develop, implement and evaluate recruitment strategies to expand the number of teaching artists
- Provide professional support to program staff and teaching artists
- Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and evaluation of all activities of the program
- Plan yearly calendar of RTA workshops and activities in all facilities.
- Help develop new workshops
- Work with prisoner participants and prison administration to plan and implement activities
- Work with prisoner steering committees on program management, leadership training and team dynamics
- Directly manage all program issues in 2 correctional facilities
- Review evaluations completed by RTA participants
- Develop, implement and evaluate recruitment strategies to expand the number of prisoner participants
- Compile and report on quarterly and annual program statistics
- A strong sense of purpose, enthusiasm and genuine commitment to the transformative power of arts in corrections
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in Applied Arts, Arts in Education, Educational Theater or Arts Administration/ Management preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience as artist /educator in alternative educational settings preferred.
- Knowledge of issues of race, class, gender and incarceration
- Previous experience working within prison is a plus.
- Access to a car required and flexible schedule
- High social and emotional intelligence
- Self-motivated, creative problem solver
- Empathic, sense of humor, warmth, enthusiasm, self-reflective
- Time management skills
- Team player – with proven ability to lead
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Salary: $50K – $60K commensurate with experience. Full time position.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Dawn McDonald at email@example.com.
Please Share the Program Director job: