Full-Time Program and Production Assistant
Aug 12, 2019
Aug 1, 2019
$35,000 – $40,000
Salary commensurate with experience within defined salary range.
About Young New Yorkers
Young New Yorkers (YNY) is committed to bringing positive systemic change to the ways that teens and young people are prosecuted in New York City’s criminal legal system. We provide Restorative Arts Diversion Programs for young people being prosecuted as adults or otherwise facing jail time or adult sanctions. First, YNY programs provide a pathway for teenagers to swiftly exit the criminal legal system, without incurring a lifelong criminal record. Second, YNY programs provide a platform for teenagers to advocate for themselves and for their visions for a transformed criminal legal system. Participants design and host public art exhibitions that explore the criminal legal issues that affect them, and invite the very judges, prosecutors, and court actors involved in their own cases to attend. This humanizes the culture of the courtrooms that engage directly with YNY, the members of which possess discretionary power with each and every young person’s case.
Our programs include 8-Week Arts Diversion Programs; Women’s 4-Week Arts Diversion Programs; 1-Day Arts Diversion Programs; Community Programs; and Graduate Programs. In addition, YNY offers paid opportunities for our program graduates as Peer Mentors and Ambassadors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Young New Yorkers’ Program and Production Assistant will have primary responsibility for ensuring that all YNY events and programs are executed with impeccable attention to detail and are consistent with YNY’s brand, standard of excellence, and commitment to transformative justice. You will be required to be extremely detail-, action-, and solution- oriented.
Responsibilities will include:
Events Support / Production
- Assisting YNY’s Executive Director (ED) with producing public art exhibitions, including:
- Realizing student art exhibition ideas and the ED’s vision into a built reality
- Venue booking, setup, and breakdown
- Art exhibition production, including lighting, installation construction, displays, etc.
- Purchasing, organizing, transporting, and storing supplies and artwork
- Producing print/digital materials, including event signage & wayfinding, posters, presentation slide graphics, brochures, banners, program guides, maps, exhibition/environmental graphics, web banners, and invitations.
- Assisting with planning and executing fundraising and other special events
Program and Organizational Support / Program Assisting
- Helping YNY’s Program Coordinator deliver impeccable programming by assisting with a number of key tasks, including:
- Scheduling programs
- Drafting program communications and documents
- Venue and classroom setup, and cleanup
- Preparation of classroom materials
- Purchasing food and supplies
- Maintaining and organizing program supplies inventory
- Registering participants
- Welcoming participants to program venue and assisting the orientation on program and venue’s community agreements.
- Assisting YNY’s Program Coordinator with participant outreach—building strong relationships with participants, engaging with students during program breaks, texting with students to establish regular communication and relay program reminders, and engaging with families and guardians
- Coordinating peer mentors
- Supporting marketing and social media functions as needed
- Entering data
- Archiving participant artwork and other program materials
- Attending onsite and offsite meetings and events upon request
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Strong background in the visual arts or design, including formal education and/or demonstrated experience as a designer or production assistant
- A portfolio reflecting design skills, as well as demonstrating creativity and attention to quality and detail
- Demonstrated experience with event planning, meeting planning, and/or art exhibition production
- Skilled in working with at-risk young adults, particularly those from ages 16-25
- Cultural competence to effectively work with youth of color and an understanding of over policing and systemic racism within the criminal legal system
- Knowledge of and interest in arts-based restorative justice; a willingness to learn about the criminal legal system, court processes, and alternative-to-incarceration services; and a strong commitment to social justice
- Demonstrable experience working in an administrative support role
- Excellent verbal communication skills—must uphold “people first” value and positively demonstrate equity and inclusion
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management skills to complete multiple competing projects
- Excellent computer, Internet, and database skills and ability to prioritize tasks on short- and long-term levels
- Ability to lift 30+ pounds
- Willing to work overtime as necessary
- Creative and enjoys planning and executing events
- Extremely detailed oriented and organized; comfortable working with and creating checklists and protocols
- Passionate about art, social justice, and working with youth and young adults
- Positive “can do” attitude—because YNY is a growing organization, priorities change rapidly from day to day
- Willingness to wear many “hats” and an appreciation for variety in one’s work
- Adaptable; comfortable with shifting priorities
- Thrives under pressure
- Successfully functions independently, as well as part of a team
- High degree of initiative
- A demonstrated commitment to personal wellbeing and self-care
- Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and with speed and accuracy
- Able to integrate frequent direction and constructive feedback into performance
- Integrity, professional discretion, and professionalism
Good to Have
- Facility with graphic design
- Spanish language speaking skills a plus
- The position will entail:
- Working at YNY’s office and at locations across New York City
- Taking public transportation to events, programs, meetings, etc.
- Working overtime and occasional weekends
- Working at a desk/computer as well as building art installations, running errands, and standing for long periods of time
- Lifting 30+ pounds, climbing stairs, transporting materials and supplies, constructing displays
- Working with diverse populations of youth, young adults, and adults in group and one-on-one settings
- Working with individuals who have experienced significant trauma
- Shifting priorities and job responsibilities depending on YNY’s programming and projects
Details at a glance
- On-site Location
- Full Time Schedule
- 4-Year Degree Required
- Entry level
- Health and dental benefits
- English fluency required. Spanish proficiency preferred
How To Apply
Please send an email with the subject line “YNY Program and Production Assistant” with your resume and cover letter as a single attachment in addition to a design presentation or built installation sample to Anna-Lisa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be advised that YNY does not expect to respond to applications before August 1, 2019. Though we may reach out to you before that date, we ask that you kindly refrain from following up on your application until that time. We appreciate your patience.
Please tailor your cover letter to this application; form cover letters will not be considered.Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, designer, exhibition, and production. States: New York.
Please Share the Program and Production Assistant job: