Full-Time Production Designer – Drama Department
Founded in 1861, The Pingry School is an independent, coeducational, college preparatory day school for students in Kindergarten through Grade 12. Situated on two spacious campuses in Basking Ridge and Short Hills, New Jersey, the school draws students of varied talents and diverse backgrounds from nearly 100 communities in New Jersey and New York. Together, our two campuses in Short Hills (K-5) and Basking Ridge (6-12) serve more than 1,100 students, of whom 49% are people of color. Pingry students participate in an engaging and challenging academic program, complemented by extensive co- and extracurricular opportunities, thriving in a community that is committed to intellectual engagement, diversity and inclusion, honor and character, and stewardship and sustainability.
Production Designer – Pingry Upper School and Middle School Drama Department
The Pingry School seeks a dynamic and intellectually engaged Upper School/Middle School Drama Production Designer to join a diverse academic community.
The ideal candidate is committed to creating a visual aesthetic to support the talents and aspirations of students in an artistic laboratory. This creator is a collaborator with an absolute passion for designing sets, scenic arts, costumes, and prop implements and executing a vision for mainstage plays and musicals within a safe and supportive environment. This artist appreciates the teachable moment, when moral and ethical questions arise in and out of the theater. A person with consistently high standards, the candidate of choice seeks growth and learning every day, both personally and professionally, and inspires others to do the same through optimism, selflessness, flexibility, and teamwork. With robust interpersonal skills, the selected candidate has a real desire to contribute to the school community by sharing their passions and through additional efforts, such as advising students, directing clubs, or supervising activities. In addition to honor and character, commitment to intellectual engagement, and appreciation for stewardship and sustainability, especially important is the candidate’s ease with diverse constituencies and demonstrated commitment to an inclusive school community.
Required qualifications include:
a bachelor’s degree in theater arts (master’s degree preferred), design portfolio, rich knowledge of performance traditions, facility with design (set, costume, sound, lighting), capacity and commitment to teach various courses in drama, proficiency with technology, and dedication to working cooperatively with other teachers and artists to maintain a strong program. With respect to set and costume design, the selected candidate needs to be able to:
- research and design four shows over the academic year
- create preliminary sketches and design concepts
- create technical draftings (ground plans and elevations to show how set piece will be constructed in scene shop)
- create white model and color renderings of set
- create (or rent) large props, furniture, set pieces, and costumes
- supervise and assist in scenic construction and painting
- oversee dress rehearsals and productions for continuity
- estimate costs and adhere to production budgets
- collaborate with the master carpenter to teach students stagecraft, proper use of tools and standard building construction, scenic painting techniques, and safety protocols
- maintain and organize stock costume inventory
- ensure scene shop is properly stocked and stage scenery and prop storage areas are functionally organized
This full-time position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to Apply
Please send resume/curriculum vitae, cover letter, and contact information for three references (at least one a supervisor) to Delvin Dinkins, Assistant Headmaster-Basking Ridge, at firstname.lastname@example.orgJob Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: design, designer, education, production, school, teaching, and theatre. States: New Jersey.
Please Share the Production Designer – Drama Department job: