The Department of Africana Studies/Rites and Reason Theatre at Brown University seeks a Producing Director to oversee the Department’s programming, seminars, exhibitions, projects and initiatives, including all Rites and Reason Theatre productions.
The incumbent will collaborate closely with the Africana Studies Department Chair, the Rites and Reason Theatre Faculty Artistic Director, and other members of the Africana Studies Department to develop and execute programs, set, and maintain project budgets, manage artists and technical crew, supervise staff, oversee the department and theatre infrastructure and other support systems, and fundraising.
This position may teach one class during the academic year in event planning and management, technical production, design, or other appropriate topics at the discretion of the Department Chair, and carry a non-tenure track faculty appointment in Africana Studies.
In addition, they will interface with university administrators, alumni, students and community members in the design, development and execution of Africana Studies-related initiatives across the campus.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree with 6-10 years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Productive and wide-ranging contacts in the professional arts world, preferably with Black theatre, dance, and/or music artists and scholars based in the U.S., the Caribbean, in Africa, or other parts of the African Diaspora.
- Prior financial management and supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of professional theatre, dance or other related performance practices, tools, materials, and safety protocols.
- Strong organizational and management skills and a demonstrated ability to collaborate with and mobilize others (staff, faculty, students) to achieve shared goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point), Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Calendar, tasks, etc.) and Zoom.
- A team player who is able to listen well, inspire others, and lead by example.
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a diverse and inclusive campus community.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown University.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, education, management, and theatre. States: Rhode Island.
Please Share the Producing Director job: