Full-Time Principal Acting Teacher
The Baltimore School for the Arts, located in the historic Mt. Vernon district of Baltimore, offers pre-professional training in vocal and instrumental music, dance, theatre, film, and the visual arts in combination with a rigorous college-preparatory academic program to 425 students in grades nine through twelve. Students are selected through competitive auditions in the arts and study with a faculty of professional artists who live and work in the Baltimore/Washington, D.C. area. BSA is one of a small number of public arts high schools in the United States and the only institution of its kind in Maryland. Ninety-eight percent of the school’s graduates are accepted into the nation’s leading colleges, conservatories, and universities.
Baltimore School for the Arts seeks an exceptional principal acting teacher to help lead its pre-professional actor training program. This is a full time, secondary teacher position employed for 10 months per year by Baltimore City Public Schools with an excellent benefits package (family health insurance and pension plan).
The successful candidate will teach acting at several levels as well as envision and implement actor training programming at BSA. This person will work closely with the theatre department head to design performances and educational experiences for students grades 9-12.
This employee must be eligible for or willing to promptly pursue certification as a secondary teacher as specified by the Maryland State Department of Education.
- Training and expertise as a theatre professional working in various acting settings
- Strong evidence of successful teaching in theatre programs, high school, or college
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and ability to bring diverse groups together to support a common goal
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in theatre or education
- Actor training and mentoring for BSA theatre majors in the areas of acting, scene study, improvisational theatre, playwrighting, and classical theatre
- Mentoring and preparing students for performance on campus as well as preparation for college, conservatory, and professional auditions
- Supervise student performances
- Communication with students and families of the acting program
- Serves as an employee of Baltimore City Public Schools
The Baltimore School for the Arts is an exciting and fast paced pre-professional environment. We have very high standards for our students and faculty. This position requires someone who is highly imaginative, a willful collaborator, and constant supporter of students. We do several professional quality productions every year. Recent performances have included:
- Once on This Island
- Waiting for Lefty
- As You Like It
This is a great opportunity for a creative, professional artist, and educator.
Cover Letters and Resumes should be emailed to: email@example.com by Friday, March 29.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Please Share the Principal Acting Teacher job: