Performance Hall Director of Event Services→ Hampton, South Carolina, United States
Title: Performance Hall Director of Event Services
Reports to: Senior Director of Operations
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Type: Full-time, salary, exempt. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
A leader in the performing arts in the Southeast, the Charleston Gaillard Center commissions, supports, and presents ambitious, multidisciplinary cultural programming and provides access to the best local, national, and global artists and companies on its stage. Through programming on its public campus and extensive arts education initiatives, the Gaillard Center serves as a platform to participate in community building and essential dialogue.
The Gaillard Center was established as a non-profit in 2015. Its campus includes the world-class 1,818-seat Martha and John M. Rivers Performance Hall, a 26,000 square-foot Exhibition Hall that includes the Grand Ballroom and Salons, and a Terrace Lawn.
For more information about the Charleston Gaillard Center, please visit www.gaillardcenter.org
The Performance Hall Director of Event Services (PHDES) is responsible for the supervision, training and assignment of duties of full-time event management, and administrative staff, house managers, event setup teams, the volunteer usher corps, and various contracted staff. This position is responsible for overseeing the planning, execution, and evaluation of Performance Hall events. The PHDES works closely with the executive and senior management teams, as well as the City of Charleston to enhance and support the overall mission of the organization, and to ensure high quality event execution while also maintaining the safety and maintenance of the facility.
- Manage the Event Services staff responsible for the successful support and execution of presented events in the Performance Hall – including the Performance Hall Event Services Manager, Event Services Coordinator, House Managers, Artist Services support staff, and Volunteer Usher corps.
- Regularly meet with the Event Services team to review the overall workflow, calendar of events, upcoming projects, and assign Event Managers to specific events to ensure operational efficiency and balanced work schedules.
- Supervise the preparation of related financial reports and necessary documentation on the economic performance of events including P&L’s, show settlement documents, and managing the department’s cash reserve.
- Create accurate estimates for future events, and ensure estimates are approved by the Programming department.
- Manage the Performance Hall Event Services annual department budget.
- Regularly participate in weekly production meetings to ensure artist and user needs are met, and contracts are being fulfilled and implemented in compliance with the Gaillard Center’s policies and procedures.
- Work in conjunction with the Senior Director of Operations, and fellow Directors to update and maintain the Gaillard Center’s Emergency Action Plan.
- Provides occupational safety guidelines and training for Performance Hall Event Services staff and the volunteer usher corps.
- Work with the Performance Hall Technical Director and Director of Facilities to update and maintain the Performance Hall Specifications Packet.
- Serve as a liaison to the City of Charleston to acquire necessary permits and additional support for performances.
- Work with the Exhibition Hall Event Services Director on contracts for parking, security, and other full-facility services.
- Inform Senior Leadership team of any event related incidents or issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Manage and review event reports to continually improve the guest experience, and operational success.
- Manage Performance Hall Event Services third-party service vendor agreements including event security, police, and medical personnel.
- Work in partnership with the Technical team, Exhibition Hall team, and the Catering partner General Manager to execute full-facility events, and special-project events including the Spiegeltent.
- Review and approve all Performance Hall Event Services staff time sheets.
- Serve as Director on duty during events as needed.
The successful candidate will have a proven and measurable track record of at least 10 years of experience in the planning, execution, and management of performances and events in performing arts public assembly venues. This position requires a strong knowledge of administrative processes, business communication, and facility policy creation and structure. Candidates should have experience in budget administration, especially with respect to commercial touring performance settlement.
Candidates should be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Adobe PDF, and Google Workspace, have superior organizational skills, and written and verbal communication skills. Demonstrated leadership of full-time, part-time, and volunteer teams, as well as the ability to think strategically, work well under pressure, and manage details of several concurrent projects is required. The successful candidate will have a professional business demeanor and the ability to work a flexible, event driven schedule. Good communication and relationship building skills with internal staff and external partners is a priority.
Knowledge of the Charleston area is a plus. Experience with specific facility management software, event execution software and task management software are desirable, including but not limited to Momentus Elite, Social Tables, and Vector Works or AutoCAD.
- Ability to move, transport and/or position up to 35 lbs of various equipment and materials.
- Using tools of the trade and accessing remote locations of the building.
- Activities may require sustained periods of movement, traversing, and positioning to meet facility and event demands.
- Work may include prolonged periods of sitting, typing, or looking at a computer screen.
The Gaillard Center provides a competitive benefit package that includes:
- Fully paid (employee only) medical, dental, vision, basic life, and long-term disability insurance
- Voluntary life, and short-term disability insurance
- 4 weeks of paid time off, accrued annually
- 6 weeks of paid family and medical leave
- 403(b) with up to a 4% company match
- Free and/or discounted tickets to performances
- Employer paid parking
How to Apply
Please use the following link to apply:
The Charleston Gaillard Center is an equal opportunity employer. Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within the Gaillard is critical to our mission. To be a leading performing arts center in the Southeast, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging. For us, equity means that our staff members, our patrons, and our clients can experience the transformative power of the arts, no matter their starting place.
Full-Time Job: Exhibition Hall Director of Event Services
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, events, exhibition, management, non-profit, and performing arts. States: South Carolina.