The Mark Morris Dance Group seeks a full-time Payroll Specialist whose primary responsibility is processing payroll for approximately 140 full time, part time and seasonal employees as well as providing support in benefits coordination and human resource management. This new position is a key member of the HR and Finance team and supports the entire organization, interacting regularly with all hiring managers and supervisors as well as all employees and independent contractors employed by the organization. In addition to superb attention to detail and accuracy, excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical to the success of this role. Reporting to the HR Manager, the Payroll Specialist joins the organization at a pivotal moment as the Dance Group is in the process of implementing a new payroll software as part of a new co-employer relationship with Insperity PEO.
The successful candidate joins a community of kind and dedicated arts and administrative professionals who are propelled by Mark Morris’s commitment to artistic excellence, access to the arts, and the impact that the arts have in connecting and engaging communities. MMDG is committed to ongoing and sustained equity and inclusion work. All staff are expected to be actively engaged and dedicated to upholding our core values: celebrating our diverse community, pursuing excellence in all that we do, advancing access, exposure, and opportunity to dance and music, and cultivating creativity. Staff members also have opportunities to shape the culture of the organization through our Work, Life and Culture Committee working groups at a time when we are revamping our IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) action plan, initiating an ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) strategic plan, and more.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Process bi-weekly payroll for approximately 140 employees (staff, dancers, production crew, teachers, and musicians)
- Process bi-weekly fee payments for contractors (faculty, supplemental dancers and musicians)
- Verify payroll information (e.g. time sheets, contracts, overtime payments, direct deposits, wage attachments, benefits deductions, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate distribution of funds
- Process and administer payroll deductions (including but not limited to union benefits, child support, levy and garnishments, retirement plan contributions, Section 125 pre-tax deductions such as Commuter, FSA, Dental, Vision, and Health); closely monitor and review HRIS reports to ensure accuracy; calculate and communicate any necessary adjustments or corrections
- Stay abreast of labor and tax laws and related benefit regulations that affect payroll
- Verify Insperity processing of quarterly and annual Federal 941 and NYS-45 tax fillings
- Prepare timely and accurate year-end W2s and 1099’s and other related reporting forms required by the IRS
- Import and review payroll journal entries in accounting software with supporting documentation
- Maintain confidentiality and provide superb customer service to address any payroll matters
- Maintain a wide variety of payroll information, files and records in paper and electronic formats for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail in compliance with Record Retention Standards
- Process and issue annual 1094-C and 1095-C ACA forms
- Communicate with a variety of internal and external parties (city/state/federal agencies, payroll provider, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate processing of payroll deductions/garnishments
- Assisting with annual Audit preparation (financial, workers comp, tax return)
Benefits Coordination / HR Generalist
- In coordination with Insperity PEO manage all voluntary and non-voluntary benefits elections and payroll deductions
- Audit, code, and review benefits and insurance bills for payment processing; Reconcile monthly DCA and HRA activities to bank statement
- Timely and accurately respond to unemployment claims and employment and wage verification requests
- Process retirement, disability and union-related benefit and dues payments and reporting
- Enter and process employment data into payroll system
- Execute background checks as needed
- Proactively identify new and streamlined reporting or processes to improve day-to-day activities
- In coordination with the HR Manager: identify and implement Insperity process efficiencies, data consistency, and cleanup efforts; assist with annual open enrollment, assist with various projects as needed
This is a full-time exempt 40 hour per week position; Monday – Friday, flexible schedule, on-site most days
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE IF YOU:
- Can be firm on policies and procedures but flexible in managing people and relationships
- Have patience and grace when interacting with different personality types
- Have an excellent memory and zealous attention to detail
- Possess strong organizational skills and have the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Are someone with initiative, creativity, energy, and a sense of humor, who enjoys working as a team player to reach shared departmental and organizational goals
- Have a deep commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity and access and are inspired by Mark Morris’ work and our programs
- At least 2–4 years of payroll processing experience and accounting knowledge
- Payroll processing experience required, preferably for union and non-union employees as well as complex pay types, pay codes and pay structures
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local payroll tax law
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and proven ability to work with precision and accuracy
- Proficient with Microsoft 365, including Excel, Outlook, and Teams
- Ability to maintain a strict level of confidentiality, discretion, judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all matters is required
- Technologically savvy and familiar with computerized accounting and payroll software applications, experience using Blackbaud’s Financial Edge or Insperity Payroll a plus
- Compliance with MMDG COVID-19 Safety Plan and Vaccination Policy
General mobility in office areas. Ability to operate data processing and other office equipment. Prolonged periods sitting or standing at a desk and working on a computer.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Annual Salary: $50,000 – $60,000
- Paid vacation, sick/personal leave, holidays and bonus days
- Comprehensive benefits package includes Employee Health and Life insurance covered 100%, Flexible Spending Plan, Voluntary vision and dental coverage, Pre-tax commuter benefit, 403(b) retirement plan, and 100% paid family leave
- Access to special events and MMDG performances (when available)
- Access to free and discounted classes at the Dance Center and online
- Invitations to cultural events extended to staff members by community partners.
- Applications accepted through our website – mmdg.org/jobs
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
- Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
- You will be asked to submit the following as part of your online application:
- 1-page Cover Letter addressed to Elizabeth Fox, Chief Financial Officer
- Complete résumé highlighting relevant experience.
- The cover letter should include answers to each of the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working at the Mark Morris Dance Group?
- The Payroll Specialist must be able to work accurately and efficiently under hard deadlines while also juggling last minute requests and information. How have you exhibited this skill in your life experience?
- MMDG is a values-driven organization; please review our core values of Community, Excellence, Creativity, and Access and discuss an instance in your professional career where you have demonstrated one of them.
- The position is open until filled, but preference will be given to those candidates who apply on or before Dec. 1, 2022. Ideal start date ASAP.
- Please note that some candidate interviews will be conducted by video using the Zoom (zoom.us/) video communications application. Please download the application in advance and have a functioning camera and speaker on your device. MMDG can also provide candidates with reasonable accommodations, if needed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. It is the policy of MMDG to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). MMDG does not discriminate against any qualified employees or job applicants with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment because of a person’s physical or mental disability. MMDG makes reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not require significant difficulty or expense.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: dance, finance, and human resources. States: New York.
Please Share the Payroll Specialist job: