Full-Time Opera Technical Coordinator
Title: Technical Coordinator – Opera & Internal Events
Reports to: Director of Production Services
Date Issued: May 2018
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Summary: The Technical Coordinator oversees all aspects of the technical production related to Opera Tampa and Straz Internal events. The position is responsible for audio, lighting, and video system network administration and software and serves as Production Manager for all internal Straz events and functions outside of the Opera Season.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews, evaluates, and coordinates all OperaTampa production requirements.
- Works with the Managing Director, Creative Director, Center President, Stage Director, Lighting Designer, and Stage Manager to determine production requirements, budgets, and schedules.
- Researches, recommends, and negotiates contracts for rental set and costumes.
- Makes airline and housing reservations for Rental Company Supervisor.
- Requests Certificate of Insurance for rental set.
- Compiles costume measurements for the entire Opera cast and provides the information to the costume rental vendor.
- Recommends Lighting Designer to Director of Production Services and oversees the installation of lighting plot. Completes United Scenic Artist contract if Lighting Director is a member.
- Recommends Wig and Makeup Artist, Production Stage Manager, and Assistant Stage Managers to Director of Production Services.
- Arranges housing and transportation for Lighting Designer, Wig and Makeup Artist, and Stage Managers.
- Partners with the Lighting Designer and Center’s Head Carpenter to determine the hanging plot and positioning of the set on stage.
- Orders additional lighting equipment in coordination with the Lighting Designer.
- Coordinates the pit setup with the Pit Orchestra Contractor and Artistic Director.
- Schedules Fire Watch if warranted by special effects.
- Oversees the overall safety of the production.
- Partners with Stage Director to determine necessary alterations or additions to rental set to meet the Director’s artistic vision.
- Provides final cost for show settlement.
- Supervises and coordinates all aspects of production on events as assigned by the Director of Production Services, including compliance of technical rider, as contracted.
- Acts as Stage Manager when necessary.
- Serves as liaison with between visiting production personnel and Center’s technical, house, and Security staffs. Ensures that visiting Company’s production needs are understood and fulfilled to the best of the Center’s ability.
- Prepares accounting of event and saves to show folder for use in settlements.
- Assists Director of Production Services to produce weekly schedules for production crews.
- Understands and implements the Center’s standard operating procedures as they relate to safety, evacuation procedures, crisis communication, and security.
- Coordinates with House Manager for routing of facility tours.
- May act as Director of Production Services, if necessary, in his/her absence.
- Completes and updates the production sections of the current event sheet and production advance sheet on assigned shows.
- Assists Director of Production Services with other duties as assigned.
Network Administration and Software Engineer
- Coordinates with relevant production department heads to determine and execute general network maintenance of Straz Production IP based equipment.
- Understands and maintains software versions on all Straz Production IP based equipment.
- Facilitates RMA’s or other repair processes for Straz Production equipment as needed.
- Acts as a liaison with Straz Production managers to maintain equipment usage spreadsheet and acquire sub rental equipment when necessary.
This position does not contain supervisory responsibilities.
Core Competencies: Standardized job requirements for an individual to properly perform this job.
Integrity – Demonstrates honesty and ethical practices in all work-related activities according to policies and procedures with or without supervision.
Accountability – Takes ownership for deliverables and actions and contributes value to the organization.
Communication Effectiveness – Conveys thoughts and ideas effectively through written and verbal communication, listens for understanding, and is able to give and receive constructive feedback.
Collaboration and Support of Diversity – works effectively with others to achieve a shared goal and puts the interest of the organization above one’s own.
Customer Service (Internal and External) – Makes the internal/external customer central to all thinking and consistently creates value for the internal/external customer.
Results Driven and Solution Oriented – Consistently delivers results that meet or exceed expectations and identifies problems early while taking appropriate action to minimize work disruptions.
Organizational Knowledge – Expands knowledge of the organization beyond one’s immediate unit/department to support the mission and core values of the Center.
Self Awareness and Personal Development – Understands the impact of one’s own actions on the organization and others and demonstrates desire, drive, and responsibility to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform job more effectively.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Experience implementing technical riders, providing scrutiny and negotiation of production elements requested.
- Experience reading lighting plots & ground plans.
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills as well as a meticulous attention to detail.
- An industrious work ethic.
- A high level of computer proficiency, including the MS Office suite.
- An ability to work independently, under pressure in a multi-task environment, and as a dynamic and supportive part of a team.
Education and Work Experience:
- Three to five years’ experience in the production industry.
- Interest in the opera not required, but a definite plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in the industry.
- Experience working with Stagehands in a union environment a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- Lift and move event materials or theatrical equipment weighing up to 40 lbs.
- Work regularly requires walking, bending and climbing; approximately 50% of performance facility is reachable only by stairs or ladder.
- Ability to identify visual and auditory difficulties occurring during events/productions.
- Ascend and descend narrow ladders between floors backstage.
- Some work may be completed in low light areas and/or areas of restricted access.
- May operate electrical or sound equipment.
- Position occasionally requires work in areas where hazardous materials (e.g. spray paint or cleansers) are present.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
TO APPLY PLEASE GO TO https://strazcenter.applicantpro.com/jobs/Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: coordinator, lighting, manager, opera, production, and technical. States: Florida.
Please Share the Opera Technical Coordinator job: