Full-Time Assistant Curator
Assistant Curator, Berg Collection
Job ID: 11081
Department: GRD SASB General Research Division
The Assistant Curator will provide interim management of the Berg Collection of English and American Literature. During the period of the Curator’s leave, the Assistant Curator will be responsible for reviewing, evaluating, and making recommendations toward the development of unique literary collections in print and manuscript; supporting their use through assistance to researchers; community engagement; digital humanities initiatives; exhibitions, programming, managing the public service policies and procedures of the Berg Collection, and other outreach activity. The Assistant Curator will also cultivate and maintain relationships with established and potential donors. The successful applicant for the curatorial position will demonstrate a historical understanding of the intellectual content and materiality of literary collections, their use in contemporary scholarship, as well as providing vision for the acquisition of literary archives.
Part of the Library’s division of Special Collections, the Berg comprises some 35,000 printed volumes, pamphlets, and broadsides, and 2,000 linear feet of archives and manuscripts, representing the work of more than 400 authors. The collection spans the fifteenth century to the present, with particular strength in nineteenth, twentieth, and twenty-first century literary manuscripts and author archives.
For more information about the Berg, please see: nypl.org/…/berg-collection-english-and-american-literature
This position is temporary through the Curator’s leave. (February 2020 – September 2020)
Reporting to the Director for Special Collections and Exhibitions, the Assistant Curator will:
• Assess acquisition proposals; review dealer catalogues; recommend the acquisition of rare and special collections in English and American literature by gift and purchase to the Director of Special Collections and Exhibitions
• Collaborate with Archives and Special Formats Processing Departments to ensure new acquisitions are accessioned and cataloged in a timely manner
• Provide expertise on literary collections and collaborate with Exhibitions staff on research to culminate in exhibitions and supporting publications
Public Service and Programming Responsibilities:
• Provide research and reference assistance to scholarly and general users, and review research fellowship applications to support research in literary collections
• Promote strategies to increase access to research collections and contribute to departmental and institution-wide initiatives
• Support teaching, outreach and scholarly initiatives by contextualizing the collections through class instruction and public programs
• Liaise with public service staff across the division of Special Collections to support research and reference services to on-site and remote patrons
• Other duties as required
Required Education & Experience
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library, archival, or information studies
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with special collections or archives
• Minimum Qualifications
• Substantial experience with English-language literary collections
• Excellent communications skills, including the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and public researchers Knowledge of best practices for collection security, description, and exhibition
• Deep knowledge of the market for literary manuscripts and archival material
• Extensive experience working on exhibitions
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Google applications
• Experience with public speaking and instruction
Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Occasional evenings and Saturdays as needed to support donors, patrons and events
Job ID: 11081
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, curator, library, and NYPL. States: New York.
Please Share the Assistant Curator job: