Contract Music Director / Assistant Director
Des Moines Performing Arts seeks a dynamic, highly qualified Music Director/Assistant Director for its Summer Camp Programs. The position invites emerging professional music directors enrolled in graduate programs or equivalent experience to collaboratively lead a series of musical theater-based performance camps for young artists in grades 3-8.
Music Director/Assistant Director will be responsible for:
- Participating in production meetings and camp planning prior to start of sessions
- Auditioning participants and assisting Director in casting decisions
- Leading music rehearsals
- Facilitating daily skill-based workshops outside of rehearsals
- Providing piano accompaniment/vocal parts during rehearsals
- Assisting the director as needed with blocking, student coaching, and giving notes
- Creating a safe and supportive atmosphere for participants to explore, grow, and create
Required skills and experience:
- MA or MFA candidates preferred, Bachelors in music required
- Demonstrated ability to teach vocal music
- Previous experience working with youth
- Rehearsal-level piano proficiency or higher
- Excellent communication, organizational and facilitation skills
This position will begin early June 2019. Applicants must be available a minimum of 40-45 hours per week. The position will conclude early August. Stipend provided. Possibility of housing assistance, for non-local candidates.
Please submit your cover letter/letter of interest, resume and online application at http://www.desmoinesperformingarts.org/discover-des-moines-performing-arts/careers.php.
No compressed files, please.
Candidates may be asked to provide samples or a portfolio to further demonstrate qualifications at a later point in the process.
Applications will be reviewed beginning February 22, 2019.
Des Moines Performing Arts’ Summer Program offers excellent practical experience for early-career Directors and Music Directors with an interest in working with youth to develop their educational theater and production skills.Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: assistant, director, music, teaching, and theatre. States: Iowa.
Please Share the Music Director / Assistant Director job: