Internship Museum Intern – Summer 2019
Paid Internship – Part-Time Job.
The Frank Lloyd Wright Trust offers internships in the Guest Relations department during the summer of 2019. The Trust operates five internationally-known sites (the Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio and Unity Temple in Oak Park, the Robie House in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, the Rookery Building in downtown Chicago, and the Emil Bach House in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago) and is recognized as a leader in the restoration and preservation of historic sites, research, education and community outreach.
The Trust’s internship program welcomes students, graduates, and career-changers who wish to expand their educational experience by working and learning in a professional museum environment. Students interested in cooperative education or academic credit should contact their college placement office or counselor for more information.
Museum interns are trained and assigned to perform guest relations duties (description below). Supervision of specific duties is provided by department managers. In addition, other areas of museum services and non-profit management may be experienced through the internship. These areas may include public education, volunteer resources, special events, development, and membership. To illustrate the broader spectrum of non-profit management, interns also will have the opportunity to participate in a series of meetings with each department.
In preparation to perform guest relations duties and deliver tours to visitors, interns must meet the following requirements:
• Participate in and successfully complete interpreter (tour guide) training sessions in Spring 2019 or successfully complete a self-study interpreter training over the course of the first two weeks of the internship under the direction of the volunteer resources manager.
• Commit to providing a minimum of eight weeks service to the Trust in the Guest Relations department during summer 2019.
• Ability to work at least one weekend day of each week of the internship and one national holiday.
GUEST RELATIONS DUTIES:
• Assist in the daily management of tour operations, including introducing public and private tours and leading tours of the museum and the neighborhood.
• Manage self-guided neighborhood walking tours, explaining procedures. Check parcels and oversee security of checked items.
• Staff the front desk at the office and the information table for the museums. Provide accurate information about the museums, the Trust and the neighborhood to visitors and volunteers. Promote memberships.
• Interact and communicate with volunteers to provide daily reminders and create a welcoming environment.
• As a team member of the Trust, demonstrate positive interpersonal skills with staff, volunteers and guests that contribute to the success of the organization.
• Other duties as assigned.
Administrative offices are located in a downtown historic building. Oak Park, Hyde Park and Rogers Park Trust sites are located in multi-level work areas not physically accessible. Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use as well as travel to off-site locations. Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment. Equal opportunity employer.
HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS/INSTRUCTION:
Interns are advised of OSHA standards through required signage and administrative updates compliant with federal and state law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by interns assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Computer literacy with working knowledge of MS Office software required. Experience with standard office equipment helpful. Interest in and aptitude for customer service and public relations; ability to interact in a welcoming and helpful manner with visitors of all ages, ability levels and backgrounds. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume to: email@example.comJob Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Internship. Job Tags: assistant, internship, museum, and non-profit. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Museum Intern – Summer 2019 job: