Part-Time Multimedia Designer
We are looking for a highly-skilled graphic artist/animator to create and manage the strategic design elements for our award-winning healthcare blogs.
You will have the opportunity to join the communication team for the nationally-ranked hospital system and also illustrate an online publication that has reached more than 4 million page views annually with a significant social media following.
We are in search of someone with a background in image selection and illustration for online publications and a keen sense of how image design can grab attention in a crowded social landscape.
The blog is a main component of the Department of Communication’s content marketing and brand building efforts to promote Michigan Medicine’s clinical care, research, and innovative educational approaches to the world.
You will need prior experience in graphic design for a number of online platforms including promotional websites, social media and digital advertising.
Additionally, it is important that you are adept at developing infographics as well as animated content, such as GIFs and motion graphics.
It is also a plus if you have video editing experience.
In this position, you will be focused on how social media continues to reshape marketing, promotion, and customer engagement. You’ll be a regular consumer of the latest online trends and is an early adopter of innovative platforms and features. Additionally, we are seeking an individual who is passionate about not only producing dynamic content but also assessing its value based on Michigan Medicine goals and its return on investment.
Primary illustrator and designer of the graphics that accompany blogs of the Michigan Medicine Department of Communication.
Main responsibility is to manage the production and selection of high quality graphics accompanying articles published on www.michiganhealthlab.org and www.michiganhealthblog.org
- Design and develop concepts, images, graphics, animations and other visual communication elements used on the blog, social media and other channels.
- Edits and manipulates photos.
- Work with writing teams and editor to brainstorm ideas and finalize graphics for the blogs.
- Attends weekly editorial meetings.
- Serves as a Department contact for internal questions and requests related to graphic or digital design needs.
- Collaborates with other members of the Communication Team to optimize creative direction of graphic design and visual branding efforts.
- Works closely with Department of Communication team and external vendors for final visual approvals of print and digital content.
- Animation/video: Collaborates with video team for graphic needs and other video projects
- Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or Mass Communication with a major in graphic design, communication design, or new media design, or equivalent experience.
- Two to four years of experience in advertising, communications, marketing or digital media.
- Comfortable with print and digital assignments.
- The ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects; develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff and outside partners/vendors.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with daily deadlines.
- Consistently displays collaborative approach to work with a positive, upbeat, professional and responsible attitude.
- Ability to handle many projects, often at the same time, through their entire life cycle in collaboration with internal and external team members.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Keen understanding of the role of infographics and other visual elements play in improving online communication effectiveness and audience engagement.
- Demonstrable proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Advertising agency or online publishing experience.
- Experience with digital asset management systems.
- General familiarity and experience with html as it relates to providing graphics support for email marketing efforts.
Full-time position with core business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Our office is located at:
North Campus Administrative Complex, Suite 24002901 Hubbard Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
This job can be performed remotely with the candidate working from home/anywhere/virtually. High speed internet is a requirement for this position and its cost is the responsibility of the staff member. There may be occasions where the staff member may need to report to the business office location, including meetings, computer or technology requirements, or to complete work that is not possible to handle remotely. Although there is some flexibility in working hours, the business office is located in the Eastern Time Zone and work hours must accommodate interactions, including video conferencing, with colleagues during these hours. Computing resources including required software applications, VPN, desktop or laptop computer, monitor, keyboard and mouse, will be provided by the employer. Office equipment such as phone, desk, chair, and printer are not provided. Basic supplies such as paper and pens, are stocked at the business location and are available to remote staff for pick-up should they choose. Unless otherwise agreed in advance with your manager, additional hardware, software, printing, and cost of office supplies preferred by the staff member, are the responsibility of the employee.
The salary for this position will be based on the selected candidates education and experience.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: advertising, arts, design, designer, education, graphic design, media, and photography. States: Michigan.
Please Share the Multimedia Designer job: