Full-Time Art Director – Retail
Oversees a digital design manager, a copywriter, an image production manager, an in-house photographer/retoucher, and a print production manager.
Works very closely with the Museum’s creative team. Generates creative concepts for upcoming seasons. Develops visual strategy for online, stores, and media that communicates MoMA Design Store’s key value to consumers, and the innovative products it carries.
Develops and manages creative budgets for the Retail division. Works closely with the creative director to ensure all Retail creative deliverables are fully in line with MoMA’s overall brand.
Champions creative opportunities to better integrate Museum programming and key initiatives into the retail channels (e.g. Membership).
Consults with Retail team on creative aspects of a broad range of potential opportunities (e.g. partnerships, product development, etc).
Directs the overall creative/brand from store visual merchandising to packaging, product development, and advertising, to digital creative and imagery production. Oversees the design of visual store presentations, windows, and graphic signs.
Directs the visual presentation of the wholesale trade show booth and catalog.
Directs and approves the visual designs of the MoMA Design Store locations in Japan. Designs and/or directs the development of graphic design materials, including ads, special signage, posters, brochures and collateral, and merchandising projects.
Oversees the visual/graphic development and production of MoMA Retail catalogs. Works with product developers and buyers to meet their product development needs (i.e., packaging, research, and development).
Directs the design and development of exhibition-related products. Supervises and/or designs in-store packaging (i.e., wrap and shopping bags).
Oversees all digital creative (emails, site creative, social media, online advertising, photography, etc.) supporting our e-commerce channel and the full business.
Reviews creative work developed by licensed partners overseas (e.g., Japan).
Reports to Creative Director, Creative Team (with dotted-line to General Manager, Retail).
• BFA or MFA in graphic design or equivalent experience. Six to eight years design and production experience, including three to four years as a senior designer or art director.
• Excellent design ability with experience designing and producing creative work in omnichannel retail, such as store windows, catalog design, email and e-commerce site creative, online and offline advertising, social media, packaging, etc.
• Experience in print production and video production, with additional experience in storyboarding and concept development for video and animation a plus.
• Passion for the arts, MoMA, and great retail creative is a must.
• Must demonstrate keen understanding of MoMA’s brand and design aesthetic, and of MoMA Design Store’s positioning.
• Nuanced understanding of brand voice and how to integrate copywriting as part of the visual creative development process.
• Excellent organizational skills. Excellent job management skills, strategic planning skills, and interpersonal leadership skills. Proactive problem-solving proficiency.
• Ability to work well under pressure. Adept at finessing outstanding working relationships with a wide variety of personality types.
• Thorough knowledge Adobe Creative Suite (CS5.5 and CC) and InCopy.
• Additional knowledge of Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, After Effects, Apple Final Cut Pro, HTML, and CSS preferred.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
HOW TO APPLYJob Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: advertising, designer, development, director, exhibition, management, media, MOMA, and museum. States: New York.
Please Share the Art Director – Retail job: