Full-Time Mandell Theater Managing Director
The Department of Performing Arts is conducting a search for a full-time year-round Mandell Theater Managing Director beginning Fall 2018. This 424-seat venue in Philadelphia’s University City district primarily serves Drexel University’s Department of Performing Arts, but also hosts numerous University events. The Mandell is rapidly becoming a desired performance venue for professional Philadelphia theatre, music and dance companies. The Managing Director is responsible for scheduling and coordinating all activities and maintaining the master calendar for the Mandell Theater Complex, and generating roughly $35,000 of rental income per academic year. Specific responsibilities include contracting, payroll, marketing support, grant writing and project management. We are seeking a hardworking, personable and effective individual who will work well with faculty, mentor students, and deepen the Department’s relationships with Philadelphia’s professional performing arts community. We seek an individual who will creatively build relationships and pursue grant funding to further develop the Mandell Theater as one of Philadelphia’s premiere performance venues and the future home of a presenting series.
The qualified candidate will possess a Masters in Arts Administration/Management or five years related experience which must include a background with operation and maintenance of a performance facility, administering budgets, managing staff and experience with labor unions, grant writing, and as a presenter. He/she will also be a creative thinker, a collaborator and an able leader. The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills. Position requires evening and weekend hours as necessary.
– Has vision for the future of the Mandell Complex as an integral part of the Philadelphia performing arts community. Works with the Department to create short and long-term goals and to implement the steps to reach them.
– Develops and maintains the master technical and performance schedule for Mandell Theater and related spaces, including the Mandell Theater green room, costume shop, scene shop, Ellen Forman Studio, lobby piano studio and URBN Annex Black Box.
– Accurately prepares and manages the Mandell Theater budget, including for rental income, equipment and facility maintenance and staffing expenses.
– Creating, executing and enforcing appropriate contracts and agreements between Mandell Theater, URBN Annex Black Box, 418 Main and Ellen Forman Dance Studios and its users.
– This position serves as the point person for front of house and box office for Mandell Theater and is responsible for training all house managers and orienting all box office personnel for the space
– Maintains and upgrades Mandell Theater, Lobby, Scene Shop, Costume Shop, Green Room and Dressing Rooms. Communicates resource needs to Drexel Facilities and coordinates the delivery of those union services.
– Works with the technical Director to hire, train, supervise and evaluate student and professional labor, including independent contractor and venue/event supervisors.
– Works with the Performing Arts Department Head on grant writing and strategic planning to successfully implement a plan for Drexel Performing Arts and the Mandell Theater to become an ever important presenter of theater, dance and music.
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigation.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=83481 or visit www.drexeljobs.com and search for Mandell Theater Managing Director. The requisition number is 9023.
Apply for this Job