Part-Time Managing Director – New Ohio Theatre
New Ohio Theatre seeks Managing Director
About the Managing Director’s Role:
The Managing Director role is a part-time, year-round position working closely with the Artistic Director (AD) and the Associate Producer (AP).
This is a dynamic, “hands-on” leadership position with responsibility for a broad portfolio of producing and administrative responsibilities.
Specifically, the Managing Director will:
- Work closely with the AD on long-term strategic and operational planning.
- Create annual operating budgets, including revenue and expense projections. Produce regular financial statements. Create and maintain program budgets and work with the AD to ensure accurate projections and tracking.
- Execute bookkeeping (QuickBooks), payroll, and monthly financial reconciliations. Collect and execute 1099 information. Track receipts and oversee the annual audit in conjunction with outside accountants.
- Participate in general marketing activities, including maintaining website and designing and executing weekly email blasts. Produce season and festival brochures.
- Participate in all fundraising activities, including planning and execution of annual gala benefit and donor appeals.
- Provide budgets for grant applications, write final reports, and maintain necessary grant-related paperwork and NYSCA Document Vault.
- During producing periods: produce programs, manage comps/paper house, and plan and execute opening night parties. Oversee front-of-house operations, including hiring and managing staff, interns, box office deposits, and cash flow.
- Recruit, hire, and manage interns and volunteers recruited to assist with administrative projects (most importantly, summer festival interns).
- Draft and negotiate legal agreements, including contracts with the artists our programs support, personnel, and unions (especially Equity). Oversee insurance policies.
- Establish and maintain office systems and processes that ensure smooth communication and calendar management for streamlined workflow.
- Maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including our program artists, Board of Directors, and major donors.
- Work with the AP as liaison to rental companies.
- Undertake other tasks and responsibilities identified by the AD or in support of the AP from time to time.
Necessary Professional Qualifications:
- 3+ years of work experience in the independent theatre community, with a focus on finance / administration / general management in the arts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with QuickBooks, MS Office and other business software
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task across several projects under time pressure
Key Personal Attributes:
The Managing Director’s personal attributes will reflect the New Ohio’s character as a small spirited organization that punches well above its weight. This means the Managing Director will be:
- Passionate about supporting independent theatre artists and knowledgeable about the New York independent theatre landscape A person of integrity who has a strong work ethic and sense of accountability
- Self-motivated, self-directed and reliable
- Committed to detail without losing sight of the big picture
- Able to handle multiple work streams, prioritizing as necessary
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively
- Happy in a casual, flexible work environment
- Committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive organizational culture.
This is a year-round part-time position. Salary: mid-$30K . Commensurate with experience.
New Ohio Theatre is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and just environment for our work, and we strongly encourage people from historically underserved populations to apply.
New Ohio Theatre provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Managing Director Search.”
No phone calls please.
Start date is June 1, 2020 (pending).
About New Ohio Theatre
New Ohio Theatre is an OBIE Award-winning, not-for-profit performance venue located in the West Village. Founded more than 25 years ago, we are a small, downtown, artist-run organization known for our bold commitment to nurturing, producing and presenting groundbreaking alternative theatre. We pursue that commitment through programming that includes our Archive Residency, which provides selected companies with a two-year commitment of space, artistic support, and institutional continuity for the incubation, development and premier of a new work; our summer Ice Factory festival, in which we invite the most exciting downtown companies to present their latest works-in-process; as well as other additional programming initiatives. Our office and performance space in the Archive Building on Christopher Street in the West Village place us at the heart of New York’s contemporary theatre conversation.
Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: fund-raising, management, marketing, recruitment, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the Managing Director – New Ohio Theatre job: