Full-Time Manager of Institutional Giving
About Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community engagement programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.7 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.
The Manager of Institutional Giving is an integral part of Opera Theatre’s development team who performs administrative duties that require discretion and independent judgement with respect to the company’s fundraising efforts. Responsibilities include:
- Develop clear, compelling, and timely written grant proposals for foundations, government agencies, and corporate donors to ensure OTSL meets its contributed revenue goals;
- Write and submit all reports to fulfill funding requirements and encourage renewed/increased support from institutional donors;
- Read and interpret organization and project budgets;
- Develop and steward relationships with foundations, government agencies, and corporate donors. Invite funders to observe programming, initiate appropriate communication with funders regarding proposals or reports, and determine the most effective way to communicate program results at the conclusion of grant periods.
- Direct corporate sponsorship efforts and serve as the liaison to the board’s corporate sponsorship committee. Work with committee members to identify and evaluate new prospects and determine an appropriate solicitation strategy for each prospect. Provide materials needed for successful solicitation and monitor solicitation progress relative to corporate revenue goal. Work in partnership with the Manager of Special Events to coordinate corporate sponsorship requests for fundraising events.
- Research new foundation and corporate prospects, schedule cultivation visits (involving colleagues as needed for appointments), and evaluate which prospects have the capacity and propensity to support Opera Theatre.
- Develop and maintain an annual calendar to ensure all grant applications and related reports are submitted on deadline.
- Assist the Director of Development with special projects as assigned, and provide additional leadership and guidance for department colleagues as needed.
The successful candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of experience in grant writing or closely related fundraising work, including a demonstrated ability to craft written project narratives and develop project budgets;
- A knowledge of local and national arts funding sources;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- An ability to build relationships with donors and prospective donors;
- An understanding of non-profit finance and related reports;
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to meeting deadlines;
- An interest in the performing arts;
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets;
- Experience with prospect research and donor database software.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Nicole Ambos Freber, Director of Development
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119 (no calls, please)
Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, age, and veteran or disability status.Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: development, fund-raising, manager, non-profit, and opera. States: Missouri.
Please Share the Manager of Institutional Giving job: